Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dropped Craddle, Now loose steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dropped Craddle, Now loose steering wheel

2005, 3.4

I was doing some transmission work, i had to drop the drivers side of the cradle. when i put everything back together the steering wheel is just moves freely and doesnt turn the wheel. i just tested it by turning it a few degrees because i didnt wanna break something. Any suggestions?

the only thing the i disconnected from steering was the drivers side tie rod end. the cradle stayed attached on the passengers side and only dropped about 5-7 inches on the drivers side.

Last edited by yeyeee01; 10-28-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

FYI - Do not let the wheel spin completely around. If you do, this more then likely will damage the clock spring (which is used to hold connection to the air bag, broken clock spring equals air bag light). I've been there done that on a different car.

Now, based on what you said you did, I think you're problem is very simple. When you lowered the cradle, it does not sound like you disconnected the intermediate shaft from the steering rack OR the steering column. That being said, hopefully the ONLY "damage" is that you popped the intermediate shaft out.

Going back to when I had my dash completely dis-assembled, I think your best best is to remove the lower panels under the dash. Follow the steering column to where is enters a rubber/vinyl boot. In that boot lives the intermediate shaft. If you stick your hand in there, I bet it will be loose/free-floating.

If that is the case, I believe you will have to remove the steering column (which is fairly easy). GM has a process to "lock" the column (so not to damage things like the clock spring). I did not know about it at the time I removed mine (and now I know it exists, just I don't know how it "locks").
The intermediate shaft will come out with it. I believe the "easiest" thing to do at that point is loose then retaining bolt holding the intermediate shaft to the column. The thing is on tight, you should be able to use a screw drive and a hammer to try and "gently" push the shaft off the column (GM recommends AGAINST any pounding in relation to the column, I know I did this to mine and it did not damage anything, just don't go nuts).

Once that shaft is out, you will notice the side that goes to the rack may appear "damaged" (it's not a flat surface), that's just how it is. That side has a spline it rests on (no keepers or retainers, so again, i don't think you broke anything). This would be a great time to lube the crap out of the shaft (some people complain about it making noises while turning and greasing it is the only fix, I know I greased mine all over before putting it back).

Next, put the intermediate shaft BACK on the steering rack on the car. Once it's on (may take a hammer to help persuade it into position), bring the column in, get it lined up to the shaft and have it start sliding in and once you can, secure the column with some of the bolts to hold it to the dash.

Everything is "keyed" so the shaft will ONLY slide in if the position is correct.

Hope this helps!!

Again, I don't think anything was damaged, so some time and patients and you should be good to go.