Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Driver's Side Wiper Going to Rest State HARD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Default Driver's Side Wiper Going to Rest State HARD

Ever since one of the first instances of ice we saw this November, my driver's side wiper seems to make an awful sound when it goes back to the rest posistion. If I remember correctly, they should be almost silent fron in the driver's seat. It seems as if it gets stuck and slams down. I'm going to take it to the dealer and collect under warranty, but I take them so much stuff I think they're a little leary to fix everything for me, or at the very least think I'm crazy abotu things liek this, so I want to be able to guide them in a general direction as to what I think might be wrong.

Anyway, I ws looking today and I think that the black plastic thing that the wiper rests on might be bent up causing it to catch and then jump over the top of it to rest on it. After looking at the pass. side, the black thign that the wiper rests on is flat against the windshield, but on the driver's side there is about a 1/4" gap between it and the glass. I was wondering if anyone could take a look at theirs' quick and let me know if it is supposed to be flat against the glass or there is supposed to be a gap. If this doesn't make sense, I can post a pic later abotu what I'm talkign about.

As always, thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Driver's Side Wiper Going to Rest State HARD

Just checked mine and sure enough there is a 1/4 inch gap off the windshield. Mine is quiet so that is correct.

Now the only time you ever get a thunk or squeak is either: something out of alignment, a bur/damage to equipment, or lubrication problem. In this case it will be one of the first 2.

The easiest way to troubleshoot this is to have someone turn the wipers on and then off while you stand outside and look for a problem - specifically if something is shuddering. Look specifically for point of contact areas and drive units - in this case where the arm connects to the car.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:41 AM

The arm rest of those pads to keep the blades off the windshield, it extends the life of the blades because they don't rest on a sun heated windshield in the off position. At the point where the arm attaches to the linkage there is a nut under the littls black cap, sometimes that nut can and will loosen a bit. With ice on the windshield it can move the indexing of the arm on the linkage. You might not notice but the blade probably doesn't travel to the usuall point during the full swipe. Loosen that nut and arm on the linkage so the arm stays in one spot while the wipers operate. Turn off the wipers and let them park, them position the arm on the pad and just slightly off of the stop on the pad. Retighten the nut and reinstall the cam. Your noise should stop and you will be good to go.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM

Good info guys! Way above and beyond! I'll take a look at that here over the weekend (weather permiting) and hopefully get a fix without having to involve the dealership.

Thanks a ton!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:52 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 AM

Well, no luck on the wipers. I think that I did figure out that the banging noise is the blade itself hitting the plastic thing the arm rests on, causing it to twist ever so slightly and BANG against the passenger side wiper. I did loosen the nut on the driver's side but that didn't seem to release the arm from the linkage. I'm not sure if I am supposed to pull it up, which doesn't come easily. It might be something for me just to have fixed under warranty while I am getting the thud in the steering wheel fixed. If you have any other advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:55 PM

The only thing I can think of is something is out of alignment still. Just have the dealership fix this one again or if you don't feel comfortable, take it to another dealership in the area.