Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Dim odometer and gear position indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Dim odometer and gear position indicator

It's so dim that I can't read it during the day and barely at night.
The dimmer is all the way bright and all of the other lighting controlled by the dimer works just fine. And the two do glow bright, on rare occasion.

I'm thinking maybe the ignition switch.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what the problem is?

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Sounds to me like something as simple as ground for those.
May even be something like a bad fuse or possibly a failing/corroted fusable link. I would also try removing the fuse block and look at the back side of it for signs of heat/melting..and or corrosion in those fuse areas. (underhood and dash)

Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Sounds to me like something as simple as ground for those.
May even be something like a bad fuse or possibly a failing/corroted fusable link. I would also try removing the fuse block and look at the back side of it for signs of heat/melting..and or corrosion in those fuse areas. (underhood and dash)
Thanks. I'll have a look see.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Yw..
Keep us posted!

Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM

Last night the two readouts started glowing normal.

It is the first time in a month or more for that to happen. This problem started more than two years ago before I parked the car, and it persisted after I brought the car out of retirement last october. Although when I first put the car back in service, the problem wasn't nearly as regular. For the first couple of months, they shined normal more often than not. Then the trend started to reverse.

I'm not so sure that the fact that they're working fine now is a coincident. Before I ever parked the car, I began having a problem with the passengers headlight assembly building condensation inside the unit. Back then I blew out the vents on the back side and everything was fine. But after almost two years parked, the same headlight was half full of condensate (water). So when I took it out to remedy the problem (again), I noticed that the power plug and the receptacle on the headlight assembly had both formed a significant amount of corrosion. So I cleaned them both and reinstalled it. Not everything was working so I had to do it many times to get everything working properly.

Well, last night I noticed that I had a parking light not burning on the same assembly. So I decided to jiggle the plug to that unit and after getting back in the car is when I noticed the two readouts were working again. They may have been working just before that, too, but if they were I didn't notice it.

I really don't think a poor connection at the headlight assembly is the culprit but it should be easy enough to determine. I'll be amazed if that is the case.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:34 AM

Today I discovered that pressing the tripmeter reset stem would bring the two readouts back to their bright glowing glory. Someday I'll remove the instrument clusters and see if there is something to learn there. Until then, I'll just keep pressing the reset button............LOL

Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i have a similar issue, from time to time mines does the same i have to knock on it to get it to light up normally, also my info center dont light up right away, i think its connected to the fan settings because when i first start the car the fan dont come on for a few minutes, when it does finally come on the info center cuts on....