Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

CV Half Shaft Assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Radagast the White
Thing is I can get the AC Delcos from about $186 a pop and I want to replace both because I'm also going to replace my front control arms, inner/outer tie rods, sway bar, bushings, balljoints, yadda, yadda, you see where this is going...

The APWIs are like $42 a pop and I can spend more money to the tune of $45/$50/$55/$60 per axle, which is significantly cheaper. Brands are Cardone Select, Surtrack, EMPI, and A-1 Cardone (I heard bad things about EMPI).
But if you buy the cheap axle and it needs replaced again in a few months what have you saved? Even with a warranty my time is worth spending more so I don't have to do it again.

Originally Posted by l67ss
Make sure theres a good warrantee, ive had horrible experiences with off brand new axles. Btw, oreillys reman axles are like $50.
Agree, I've also had horrible luck with non gm axles. Again even with a good warranty it still doesn't pay for wasted time to do the job over again. I'm a guy that fixes things right the first time instead of just installing a bandaid

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I just replace my passenger side axle. I got it at Pepboys for $62 and installed it the next day. It was new Although I didn't pay attention to how made it I did inspect it. CVs do go bad but no matter who makes or remanufactures it they are pretty much the same. If you know what to look for, inspect the axle when they pull the box of the shelf. If it is bad you will know it in the store not in the car or after you have pulled the old one off.
Go to NAPA, Auto Zone, Advanced, O'Reily's or what ever parts place you prefer. If you order it online and it's bad when you get it you have to send it back and wait for another to arrive. At the auto parts store if the one they bring you is bad the go get a good one from the shelf! No 2 or 3 week wait while you worry about if your daily drive is going to make today's daily drive!
JC I'm glad they worked for you, my experiencss were they are fine in the box but soon after being installed the boot rips or the CV joint binds and clucks etc which means its bad.

Just my experiences..