Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

cruze control

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default cruze control

I replaced my passage side front hub. I checked the rest, none are loose. Cruse control still does not work and traction control keeps going off.
(light on dash comes on) All fuses have been checked several times. I noticed when I changed my hub, the wire harness was frayed and one of the wires were exposed. any ideas?

I apologize if the answer is somewhere in this web site. I can't seem to find it, if it does exist.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Sounds like the "exposed" wire is your problem....
You have 1 of 2 ways to fix it....

1) Would be to completely replace it... with OEM replacement part.

2) You could try to re connect the frayed wires and shrink wrap the frayed wire so as to not have it to be able to touch(ground out) on any of the steering assy.... that way it keeps the weather out also... you could try electrical tape to cover the frayed wire... But, theres no guarantee it will also prevent the weather from getting to it.... Thus causeing the same issue to return...

My recommendation, Replace the frayed wire with a new OEM wire assy.. to eliminate any further issues.

Hope this helps...
Maybe someone else will chime in with more suggestions/ideas

Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Default harness

I guess I forgot to mention. I bought the hubs with the replacement harness. So a frayed wire harness is not an issue any more. I checked the other hub. No frayed wires.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Which side of the harness is frayed??? The car side or the piece on the hub? If it's on the hub, I would be concerned of other damage (and it may just be best to replace the hub). If it's on the car side, you may need to splice the wiring back together. Also, the wiring on the car side is typically "twisted" (I believe to prevent noise interference).

You may also be able to find information on how to OHM test the ABS sensor and do a continuity test on the car's wiring harnesses.

I assume the ABS light is active? If so, some OBD-II scan tools can read the ABS computer, that might help diagnose what's going on.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Default abs light

No frayed wires on the car side. I replaced the hub. It came with ABS sensor. ABS light does not go on.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Before going on, didn't you have a 6th and 5th gen Monte??? Which generation are we discussing?? I assume a 6th gen...

Do you have a tool that can get readings off the 4 speed sensors in the hubs? The cruise may be a separate issue, as I am not sure cruise requires the ABS wheel speed sensors, I think it relies on the speed sensor in the trans.
I assume it's not a "Low Traction Light" and actually the Trac Light that comes on when you turn traction off? If so, then it sounds like the car detected a fault in the system. Could be a wheel sensor broke connection for a moment and came back (possibly pointing to issues with the frayed wire).

Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member

Yes. 6th generation. Thats why I put it in this thread header 6th generation. I'm not that old....YET LOL!!!!

I recieved another signal on my big board not just the trac control light. Service traction system. How do I go about that? Is it just a check over? Parts need replacement? Or just check out all of the system for bare wires?