Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

loud grinding noise when turning key

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM
hrg
Post loud grinding noise when turning key

Hey there my 78 broke down at a pub, it was turning over but not starting, I tried it quite abit, then later was getting it towed while not there and the tow truck driver got it to start, I was told he tried ALOT to, so I drove it home and it was bogging down, like if I wasn't on the gas or slowed down it was going stall, so I got it home and tried to start it the next day and had to stop immediately because the loud grind sound sounded so bad, before this had happened I replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs/wires, had the carb cleaned and the idle tuned, so I have no idea what it could be, possibly the starter? cause I don't know, any help would be great thanks.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the engine was turned over for any length of time attempting to start it then your battery is partially discharged. I'd have it charged before doing any diagnostics.

The sound you're hearing could be the solenoid disengaging/starter spinning (common with low battery amperage) or it may actually be the teeth of the starter and flex plate grinding together. This could be caused by loose starter bolts, or worn teeth on either the starter or flex plate. You'll need to remove the starter and inspect, but charge the battery first.