Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: What do you think of the New Chevy Cruze ?
I like it for what it is : )
25.00%
I don't like it at `all : (
37.50%
I would have to see it & drive it first b-4 I post ?
37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think of the new Chevy Cruze ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What do you think of the new Chevy Cruze ?

Member's, what do you think of the new Chevy Cruze ?
Post your thoughts `Ok...Would you buy one ?
Is Chevy going in the right direction ?
Look forward to reading your post(s)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze
By New Car Test Drive
On Sale: Early 2010
Expected Pricing: $14,500-$19,500

Chevrolet promises a world-beater with its compact 2011 Cruze sedan. By appearances, there's something to the hype.
The front-drive Chevrolet Cruze is expected to replace the Cobalt when it reaches U.S. showrooms in 2010. The Cruze will compete head-to-head with top-selling compacts like the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Ford Focus. It has the look of a solid contender.
The four-door Cruze is a handsome car, shaped in the fashion of Chevrolet's well-received, mid-size Malibu sedan, with even better proportions. Its arcing roofline creates the effect of a two-door coupe, and the Cruze looks longer and wider than many of its competitors, with shorter overhangs beyond the front and rear wheels. It will come standard with 16-inch wheels and offer a 17-inch option.
By exterior dimensions, regardless of appearances, the Cruze is roughly the same size as the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic sedans. Its 105.7-inch wheelbase slots between Civic (106.3) and Corolla (102.4), and the overall length of all three falls within an inch of the other. The Cruze is wider than either the Corolla or Civic by at least 1.4 inches.
The Cruze will come standard with a new, 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine under the hood, generating an estimated 138 horsepower. It will offer either a six-speed manual or an efficient six-speed automatic transmission, while competitors offer five-speeds or fewer. The upgrade engine in the United States will be a smaller, turbocharged 1.4-liter four. Horsepower increases slightly (to 140), but so should fuel economy. Chevrolet says the Cruze turbo will surpass the current class-leading Cobalt XFE's 37 MPG highway. We'd project 39 or 40 mpg, tops.
The Cruze employs a strut-type independent front suspension, which is typical in this class. Its rear suspension uses a solid torsion-beam axle, like the Corolla, rather than a fully independent set-up like the Civic or Focus. Cruze's standard, new-age electric power steering pump features speed-sensitive power assist.
Inside, the Cruze is trimmed with subtle shiny metallic cloth inserts in the seats, doors and dash. The material looks good, as do the grained, soft-touch plastic panels. There's a pop-open storage bin in the center of the dash, and a large LCD monitor that's expected to come standard. Below the monitor sit a dense array of switches with a joystick device, in the fashion of current Acura models. The appearance is high-tech, and appealing, though we tend not to like this approach when it comes to using the buttons. The Cruz will offer both Bluetooth connectivity and USB connectors.
Although Chevrolet hasn't published interior dimensions for the Cruze, we'd guess that it offers more rear-seat space than any car in its class. At 13.2 cubic feet, its trunk is larger than most competitors, too, including both Corolla and Civic (12.3 and 12.0 cubic feet, respectively).
Standard safety equipment will include front, front-passenger side and full-cabin head protection airbags, as well as electronic stability control with rollover sensing and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS. Chevy predicts the highest possible crash ratings in various government and insurance-industry tests.
In an unusual move for Detroit automakers, Chevy has launched the Cruze in Europe, where the market for compact cars is even more competitive and demanding, before it's available in the United States. The Cruze went on sale in Europe in March 2009 and, according to GM, will be rolled out to other global regions.
Early reviews from independent media suggest a high-level of refinement and good performance.
The Cruze will be built in Lordstown, Ohio, and goes on sale in United States and Canada by the spring of 2010. It will be offered in Chevy's familiar LS, LT and LTZ trim levels.
800-222-1020
www.chevrolet.com

__________________________________________________ _

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Review and Specs
Read the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Review on Edmunds.com.
www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cruze/2011/review.html - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 09-27-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Pictures:

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cru...rearchive.html
Click above to see exterior & interior Pictures ^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by Space; 09-27-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I'd rather drive a Pinto. :p:p:p

Old 09-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Only if she's built before those nooner happy hour's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Looks kind of small. I'd never give it a second glance.

No doubt rental fleets will surge with these, it will be a car to give wide berth to as tourists stop in the craziest places to read the nav system.

Read this the other day and it got me thinking. What new Holden based RWD image car would be a good choice for Chevy: Vega, Monza, Biscayne or Monte Carlo?

General Motors' next-generation Zeta rear-drive platform will be heavily updated from its current form, with lots of high-strength steel to bring down weight. The price point of the cars that will use the platform makes this possible. They will include a new Chevrolet sport sedan on the shorter of two Zeta wheelbases. Think of it conceptually as a kind of four-door Camaro, even as the '14 Camaro moves to the new, smaller Alpha platform.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._on/index.html

Last edited by Barovelli; 09-28-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The interior looks nice. I'll give it that. But I have to agree Barovelli. This just screams rental car. Especially with 138 horses.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 AM

Looks like a nice little car, not one I'd drive personally but I can see the market for it

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM

GM needs to make a turbo version with AWD, and maybe a hatchback ala the Malibu Maxx. Maybe then I would be interested.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Hi `Brian, I agree 4 Sure : )

Chevy Cruze SS, Anyone?

GM also Considering "Four-Door Coupe" Model in Effort to "Sport Up" Compact Lineup
By Todd Lassa

Chevrolet is looking at two ways to "sport up" General Motors' Delta compact platform. The more radical idea involves all new, "four-door coupe"-style sheetmetal on the same platform as the 2011 Chevy Cruze compact. The car would retain the Cruze's wheelbase, but with a more rakish roofline that would sacrifice some back seat space for a more expressive design.

The idea would be to get a higher profit-margin car out of a relatively humble platform. It's comparable to what Mercedes-Benz did with its CLS four-door coupe -- a car that essentially raised the retail price of an E-Class-based car to near S-Class levels. A Cruze-based four-door coupe would theoretically serve as a step up toward the Camaro.

The more practical solution would be a Super Sport version of the Cruze. That entails suspension mods, of course, plus requisite trim upgrades and a high-pressure version of the 2.0-liter turbo along the lines of the 260-horsepower unit that powered the Pontiac Solstice GXP/Saturn Sky Redline and the coming 255-horsepower Buick Regal GS.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM

i think it looks better than the cobalt, and if it was turbo and made the power that the cobalt ss does id be down to drive one for daily driving.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the new Chevy Cruze ?