Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Couple questions about 01 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Default Couple questions about 01 SS

I guess since this is General, I will post both concerns in one thread instead of multiple threads.

I picked up my 01 SS yesterday, and pretty much went over for an hour or more. I just have a couple questions.

1 - The drivers door sags, and hits the lower part of the body when it closes. It's only down maybe 1/4", if that much, but it still sags. Is that an easy fix, or is that a failing door hinge?

2 - I read the post about the 2001 fuel gauge. So I don't know if I'm paranoid and watching the gauge more than I should, or if it's a real problem. Driving around yesterday, it would go from 1/4 to 1/8 and back to 1/4, or anywhere in between. It wasn't a steady movement, seemed whenever I glanced at it, it was in a different spot, depending if I was driving around corners, or up hills, etc. Is this a faulty gauge or faulty driver?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1, could be a number of things. The door alignment could have been put on wrong, maybe it was in an accident? The hinge could be bent (these are very heavy doors) or even just a weak hinge. Even the door could be bent a little.

2. I think you are being too paranoid, as you drive the fuel is going to move around. Yes it COULD be a small problem, but unless you car is constantly saying full (like mine is) I wouldn't worry about it haha

Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM

Sorry, I left out the question that made me write this original post.

3 - I see this car has several recalls. There's only one recall badge under the hood, so I assume it needs some work done. I read on safercar.gov, that the recalls are covered for 10 years, or if the vehicle is under 10 years old (that's what I picked up from it, it was worded crazy - Please correct me if I'm wrong). Can I take my car to any Chevy dealer, and have them correct the recalls? Will it be free of charge, since the vehicle isn't 10 years old?? I've never dealt with recalls or used cars before, so this is all new to me.

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
1, could be a number of things. The door alignment could have been put on wrong, maybe it was in an accident? The hinge could be bent (these are very heavy doors) or even just a weak hinge. Even the door could be bent a little.

2. I think you are being too paranoid, as you drive the fuel is going to move around. Yes it COULD be a small problem, but unless you car is constantly saying full (like mine is) I wouldn't worry about it haha
You aren't joking about them being heavy. That's a serious door. It's my first two door car, so I'm still getting used to opening them without smashing whatever I'm parked next to. Anyway, I can lift up on the door, and it moves, to where it should be. That's what made me think it may be a bolt or something loose? But I am far from being a mechanic, so I just ask the dumb questions here!

I probably shouldn't have read that thread about the fuel gauge. Now when I drive I watch it constantly. lol I guess an eighth of a tank isn't going to make or break me. However, when I was driving to the gas station it would go from an eighth to the notch above it, so it would keep setting the low fuel alarm off...lol Guess I'll have to keep it above an eighth from now on! Problem solved. Does the mileage computer on the ceiling work in conjunction with the fuel gauge? Or is that independant? Just wondering if the numbers are somewhat accurate, or way off.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

regarding recalls, I've just had the work done the second I the recall was put into effect. If doesn't hurt to call a dealership and ask.

Open the door wide and take a picture of the top and bottom hinges, then open the other door and take a picture and either post them here, or stare at the hinges. Maybe that can help on the door problem some.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:15 PM

I had the same issue of the door sagging on my 01 SS. The door is so heavy that the bolts can actually back out a little bit. I got a jack under the door backed off the bolts a bit more, adjusted the door to the correct level and tightened them back up. Worked great for me.