Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Corrosion in Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Corrosion in Fuse Box

While working with the electrical system of my car today, I had the fuse box open under the hood. I noticed that the ABS fuse (20 Amps) was covered in corrosion. My ABS light has been on for over a year now and the anti-lock brakes haven't worked since the light has been on. I was excited at first to see a problem and quickly cleaned up the terminals and replaced the fuse. However, this did not fix the ABS issue.

First, why was there corrosion on that fuse? It was the only corroded fuse.

Secondly, is this related to my ABS light? Other ideas on how to fix this issue? With winter around the corner it would be nice to have ABS.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

That's weird, did you check out the wiring under the fuse panel?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by Enzo354
That's weird, did you check out the wiring under the fuse panel?
I did not.. I can take a closer look tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 AM

I had a 97 Cadillac..same problem..bottom of my fuse box rotted away..so after trying to fix the individual wires, and replace the fuses..I ended up taking it apart, and replacing the fuse holders..and fuses..I didnt know I had a prob until my cigarette lighter wouldnt work, I opened the box..and saw the corrosion..I cleaned it up, and sprayed Rust Check inside(on advice from an auto electrical shop)..it lasted till I got rid of the car..I should have just replaced the fuse box itself...I had 'gremlins' from that day on..battery drains...door locks..etc etc

Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Bottom of the box is probably rotted out and that was the first spot it has started to come up. Hard to tell what you ABS problem is without pulling codes.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

electrolysis

A process in which a chemical change, especially decomposition, is brought about by passing an electric current through a solution of electrolytes so that the electrolyte's ions move toward the negative and positive electrodes and react with them. If negative ions move toward the anode, they lose electrons and become neutral, resulting in an oxidation reaction. This also happens if atoms of the anode lose electrons and go into the electrolyte solution as positive ions. If positive ions move toward the cathode and gain electrons, becoming neutral, a reduction reaction takes place.

In this situation the 'solution of electrolytes' is the moisture in the air.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have had that ABS light on for over a year, Why have you ignored it for so long?/Not to be harsh...Just curious.
The ABS system does save lives...whether its yours or someone elses..

You seem like a smart guy who over the course of the year, seem to be takeing good care of your Monte...

The first winter I had mine...apparently I went thru some deep snow...and all of a sudden my ABS light came on...Turns out it was a simple wire that had broken at the rear of my car from the ABS... Replaced it and it hasnt been a problem ever since...(that was 13 yrs ago)

I guess from the sounds of the corrosion in the fuse box...Obviously theres been constant current still flowing thru that circuit. I would seriously consider traceing down the ABS system and start replaceing any and all faulty wireing...you come across to close the circuit.. and have your ABS system up and running before winter..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-23-2012 at 07:42 AM.