General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Wheel Corrosion

Old 09-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Default Wheel Corrosion

Is there a way to stop corrosion on the outside of the wheel. Some one before me thought it was a good idea to use clip on wheel weights on the outside of the dale jr wheels, which is clear coated. When I got the car I saw this and switched to stick-on weights, but now the wheel is corroded where there clip on weights were because it rubbed through the clear coat.

Is there anything that I can put on the area to prevent further corrosion and to make it look halfway decent? I plan on eventually sending them in 1 at a time to a wheel place and getting them resurfaced but that won't be anytime soon because its not gonna be cheap

Old 09-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

are you talking about like salt damage? i have tons of that on my rims, in my case the only way to fix it is to sand down and repaint

Old 09-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Check out the below link.
When the Bum's & I were clean'in detailing boats we would
use Flitz polish on all metal parts & it would remove the damage
from the salt air of the ocean. We would also use it on
car's we detailed that had corrosion on their wheels, and they cleaned up pretty good. Not for a show judge, but you would have to get
close to see the imperfections. Check the link
and see what you think. Hopefully one of our detail expect
tech member's will read your post & post their suggestions.
Good Luck

http://www.flitz-polish.com/

Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I really don't know how to fix the corrosion except to get the wheels re-chromed. I have the chrome plated wheels on my DD and I am going to wax them really well before the winter and hopefully that will give them some protection.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had that exact problem on a previous car.

Since I was going to get the wheels re-done anyway, I cleaned off as much of the corrosion as I can. Then I carefully covered it with some clear nail polish. It wasn't pretty, but it was only gonna be temporary anyway. I'm sure there are better suggestions though.

I'm getting at least one of my Dale Jr wheels redone this winter when I take them off for the winter. Tire place used the grinder to clean the bead area when the original tires were replaced. This started the process of the aluminum corroding inside the rim. I already had one tire get a slow leak around the bead. Their fix? Grind my rim down some more UGGHHH!

I called a Chevy dealer and asked how much the factory original Dale Jr rims are. I got a price of $1300 EACH. Anyone coming near my rims with another grinder is getting an *** whipping!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

U can get em off ebay for $100 a peice lol. But yea, just get some polish and polish it alot, mabye that will help.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Thank you. I'll probably sand down the corroded area and put some kind of clear coat on it to stop any further corrosion and maybe put a coat of wax on it for the winter. I'm going to call up the wheel place and see how much they get to resurface and start doing them one by one, starting with the worst one. I'd love to get a set of winter wheels but none of the junk yards have gotten any in that will fit it

Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I would either try some metal polish for light corrosion, and work at it till the corrosion is gone, or if its heavy corrosion, use some wet/ dry sand paper, and lightly sand away the corrosion. Then get some clear coat and toach up the section with some new clear to keep it from happening again.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Taz, I just found the same problem with my right front rim. It wasn't holding pressure so I took it to the tire shop and they showed me the rim after they had the tire off. The problem was the corroded bead but worse is half the rim is corroded. I'm still in an extended warranty period so I'm going to see if it can be repaired or replaced. I'm also worried about my other rims.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:34 PM

I found an eBay store selling rims. I'll put the link here, does anyone think this is or is not legit? It sure seems like the eay to go for me if warranty cannot replace or repair my rim(s).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Corrosion