Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Coolant coming out my intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My guess is:

You originally did all these things due to overheating? Correct?

If so...
The UIM is definitely "Tweaked" (warped)as do all of them when they overheat.. It may look fine...But trust me it isn't... Im positive the one you purchased from Greg..will not be "Tweaked" (Warped)... So keep us posted!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
We ended up blocking off my throttle bodys coolant flow. So no coolant ever gets to the throttle body. It's more for people who live in extreme cold areas to keep the throttle valve from freezing. So we just plugged it.

The reinforced Dorman I sent to you was supposed to have resolved this problem too, in so far as the leak prone mating. Like I said I did not include a UIM gasket as my old one was discarded upon removal. But if you have a new UIM gasket already, your in business. The Dorman I sent you never gave me any problems at all, so it should be a totally servicable unit. I just went to the aluminum one as an upgrade from backfires etc.

Hope you get a handle on this soon. Hope you like the HV2 inserts new performance you get. Cheap horsepower.
thanks alot greg! so the uim you sent me will block off the coolant flow to my tb?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
thanks alot greg! so the uim you sent me will block off the coolant flow to my tb?
Brandon, the UIM your getting from me will NOT block off the coolant flow to the throttle body. It has however been redesigned (Reinforced Dorman) to address this weak spot too which was causing the premature coolant corrosion and leaks. So with a new good quality UIM gasket from NAPA your coolant problems should be no more.

This one does not have any gaskets, you might need to reuse the O ring gasket from your recent build or buy a new one of them too.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-10-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you took your uim off, did you inspect around the egr stove pipe hole on the uim? That commonly becomes brittle and developes a hole in it leaking coolant.

I can't do it easily from my phone, but I blocked the coolant flow from my lim (like what Greg is mentioning). I have info and pics about that on my web site (my web link is in my signature).

Old 08-11-2014, 02:49 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
When you took your uim off, did you inspect around the egr stove pipe hole on the uim? That commonly becomes brittle and developes a hole in it leaking coolant.

I can't do it easily from my phone, but I blocked the coolant flow from my lim (like what Greg is mentioning). I have info and pics about that on my web site (my web link is in my signature).
you wanna link me to that picture because ive looked at almost everything on the site and didnt see it.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 PM

10 Year Member

Sorry for the delay (I'm finally infront of my PC to grab the link, I've been doing MCF.com from my phone).
Here's a link to the exact page about my LIM being plugged off:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Port Matched LIM

I just tapped the holes, got a couple a stainless steel set screws big enough, I dabbed some JBWeld on this and plugged the holes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4026.jpg (92.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:56 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Sorry for the delay (I'm finally infront of my PC to grab the link, I've been doing MCF.com from my phone).
Here's a link to the exact page about my LIM being plugged off:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Port Matched LIM

I just tapped the holes, got a couple a stainless steel set screws big enough, I dabbed some JBWeld on this and plugged the holes.

thanks alot! i got the part from greg and installed it and it fixed my leak, but now my car wont start. i put fresh plugs in too, so its getting spark, getting fuel, has fuel pressure, has gas, charged battery, and good compression all cylinder where 120-125 each. how likely is it that i jumped the timing chain? thats about the only thing that i have not replaced. and can it be done without pulling the motor? idk how to tag people so if someone could tag turbomonte chibiblacksheep zippy02 and anyone else big on the forum?!

Old 08-15-2014, 03:54 PM

10 Year Member

Forums like this don't work by tagging. But you can send a private message to a group with a link to this thread.

As for the lack of start I would think if it was a timing chain you'd have some awful noises.

Have you scanned for any codes in the computer? Since it sounds like this was after the uim fixes did you check that all the wiring is still connected?