Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Coolant coming out my intake

Old 08-08-2014, 06:30 PM
1 Year Member
Default Coolant coming out my intake

Ok so I just replace my plugs and had the car running again. Next day it started to smoke so I replaced my lower and upper intake manifold gaskets. The car wouldn't start. So I got new plugs and did and oil change to get the water and **** out of it. It started and ran good then it had a slight miss because I had a loose cord. So I tried starting it again, and then coolant began seaping out of my air filter. What's my problem now? Need help. The gaskets were put in right, and all the bolts were torqued correctly. Herd the intake can warp? From heat or something?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm wondering if the throttle body which has a manifold water jacket or port to heat it in the winter time is leaking or failed, or something in that area for coolant to be coming out your air filter

Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd grab a radiator pressure tester, pump it up and look for leaks. I suspect one of two things:
1 - Throttle body gasket is shot (quick and easy service).
2 - UIM has failed (if it is, I am selling one that is in great condition, used it until I did my aluminum L26 UIM swap).

The UIM has coolant ports that flow coolant from the LIM, in the UIM, to a pocket in the throttle body, back to the UIM and back into the LIM. Since the LIM is made of the same or similar plastic that the LIM gaskets are made of, it suffers failure points. The coolant ports in the UIM have the EGR stove pipe sticking between them. It's a lot of heat in that region and eventually the plastic can wear away/erode or get brittle and crack. Typically from my understanding, the coolant sprays into the engine and shows as steam out the exhaust (extreme issues, the engine will hydro-lock). I never heard of coolant coming out the air filter, but I suppose it's possible.

That's the stuff I would inspect.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:23 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I'm wondering if the throttle body which has a manifold water jacket or port to heat it in the winter time is leaking or failed, or something in that area for coolant to be coming out your air filter
how would i check that tho?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

My thought is that the heater pipe seal (o-ring) either slipped or fell out of place during assembly. A small amount of petroleum jelly on the o-ring will hold it in place during assembly.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:38 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
My thought is that the heater pipe seal (o-ring) either slipped or fell out of place during assembly. A small amount of petroleum jelly on the o-ring will hold it in place during assembly.
does that o-ring go on the tb or the uim?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:55 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
does that o-ring go on the tb or the uim?
is this it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 08-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

You are best with getting a radiator pressure tester, bumping up the pressure to I believe 13psi, watch for the pressure to drop, look and listen around the engine for any signs of bubbling and leaking. We've all given you some spots to check, the radiator pressure tester will pressurize the entire system, so the car is not running or hot while you inspect.

The image below is the mating surface for your throttle body. The gasket is a rubber ring like setup that goes around that opening. At the bottle of the intake for the throttle body appear to be 3 ports (it's really only two, on on the left and right). Those are the ports that flow coolant. A 4 circular port is the for the PCV system (no coolant). If you look inside,you see a big round hole, that is for the EGR stove pipe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3800-2a.jpg (72.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:06 PM
1 Year Member

ok so i got the pressure tester as suggested, the coolant was indeed coming from my intake. i found that o ring and put it back into place and tested it again, it was coming from the same place again. so i took it off again, took off my tb replaced the tb gasket as suggested and put it back together and everything and tested again. still leaked. idk what else to do i have replaced everything and all the bolts are in and torqued properly and in the correct order. anyone else ever have this problem? i dont believe my intake to be warped but i bought one from greg and it will be here tuesday so i will swap that when it comes and give an update. i have replaced the lim gasket, tb gasket, valve cover gaskets, uim gasket, and the o ring is in correctly, i even put rtv blue gasket maker paste stuff and it still leaked. im out of ideas and dont even know where to turn next. if my intake is warped what is a way i can tell?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BrandonStebing
ok so i got the pressure tester as suggested, the coolant was indeed coming from my intake. i found that o ring and put it back into place and tested it again, it was coming from the same place again. so i took it off again, took off my tb replaced the tb gasket as suggested and put it back together and everything and tested again. still leaked. idk what else to do i have replaced everything and all the bolts are in and torqued properly and in the correct order. anyone else ever have this problem? i dont believe my intake to be warped but i bought one from greg and it will be here tuesday so i will swap that when it comes and give an update. i have replaced the lim gasket, tb gasket, valve cover gaskets, uim gasket, and the o ring is in correctly, i even put rtv blue gasket maker paste stuff and it still leaked. im out of ideas and dont even know where to turn next. if my intake is warped what is a way i can tell?
We ended up blocking off my throttle bodys coolant flow. So no coolant ever gets to the throttle body. It's more for people who live in extreme cold areas to keep the throttle valve from freezing. So we just plugged it.

The reinforced Dorman I sent to you was supposed to have resolved this problem too, in so far as the leak prone mating. Like I said I did not include a UIM gasket as my old one was discarded upon removal. But if you have a new UIM gasket already, your in business. The Dorman I sent you never gave me any problems at all, so it should be a totally servicable unit. I just went to the aluminum one as an upgrade from backfires etc.

Hope you get a handle on this soon. Hope you like the HV2 inserts new performance you get. Cheap horsepower.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 08-09-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant coming out my intake