Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

condensation in tail light.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Default condensation in tail light.

I noticed after washing my car yesterday that there was a small amount of condensation inside the clear lens cover. I know on my sons Mustang, we removed the assembly, air dried it and then used a silicone sealant. How difficult is it getting the tail light assembly out?

Thanks in advance............

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default RE: condensation in tail light.

Mine are doing it too. Never noticed itbefore but there are cracks in mine. I think they've been there all along and are just now reaching the point that you can see them.

I'll be in the market soon for some taillights to fit an '02 if anyone has any laying around

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM

if i remember right u have an 04 vette...so just open the trunk and turn out the black **** that holds the carpet on...it is also one of the posts of the tailight...pull the carpet back and unscrew the other 2 ***** that are holding the light in...it should take around 2 minutes...

Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: kweef

if i remember right u have an 04 vette...so just open the trunk and turn out the black **** that holds the carpet on...it is also one of the posts of the tailight...pull the carpet back and unscrew the other 2 ***** that are holding the light in...it should take around 2 minutes...
Cool............I now have a Saturday morning project to go with my coffee.......[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think most 2000-2005 Monte tail lights do that. Mine do it too. Usually goes away after an hour or so.

I cut apart the headlight assemblies on my grand am. I imagine it would be a similar process. I used a very sharp utility knife. Being careful not to slip and scrape either surface, and especially careful not to slip and slice myself! Once separated, you have to make sure you get all the old sealant off before re-sealing. Or else you're back to where you started, with the same problem.

For now, I've chosen to live with it. Minor annoyance at best on my car. No standing water inside my lenses, just a little condensation once in a while. If I start getting standing water, or notice water stains inside the lens, then I'll worry about it.

Please let us know how you made out. And maybe the process you used to fix them. Sounds like lots of people here would be interested in doing theirs too.

Good luck!

Edit: To anyone doing this, or thinking of doing this for the first time, plan on not being able to use that light assembly for at least a day. You should let the silicone dry completely before re-installing. Usually 24 hours works well. So if you're doing this to your daily driver, plan ahead!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:26 AM

yep both of mine do that to.......

i even boutha new tail light from a friends monte that he was parting out and changed it and it still does it ..so im just leaving it the way it is.........

oh dustybird3if you want to buy just the passenger tail light i have one for sale lol........and also 2 head lights for sale........if anyone is intrested let me know