Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Condensation in Tail lights.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Condensation in Tail lights.

Okay so for a long time since i can't remember when, I've had some condensation in both of my taillights. It isn't in the housing that holds the lights, it is just inside the outer lens, which I can't get to. Here are some pictures.

Name:  2013-01-18_10-25-31_215_zps3d6470f5.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  2013-01-18_10-24-35_663_zps5df059e2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  81.9 KB

Name:  2013-01-18_10-25-49_258_zpse06451e7.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  63.6 KB

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of this? It's been bugging me for a while

Attached Images
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The outer lens seal probably has a break in it that is letting moisture into the assembly somehow. Any amount of moisture inside will condensate at the top, usually when warmed by the sun.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM

The seals will eventually wear down. Mine has LOTS of micro crack on the inner lens, but it's smooth on the outside. Somewhere near the top I have a sliver of a break in the seal and when it gets cold or after I wash the car I'll see a small amount of condensation.

You can try to reseal the lens. Or like me, use that as an excuse to get some nice 7th gen tails or some LED ones.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:32 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
The outer lens seal probably has a break in it that is letting moisture into the assembly somehow. Any amount of moisture inside will condensate at the top, usually when warmed by the sun.
When I look really closely at the top, I can see how a little moisture could get inside of it. I just washed my car yesterday and it was pretty much in the sun all day today so I could see that happening.

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
The seals will eventually wear down. Mine has LOTS of micro crack on the inner lens, but it's smooth on the outside. Somewhere near the top I have a sliver of a break in the seal and when it gets cold or after I wash the car I'll see a small amount of condensation.

You can try to reseal the lens. Or like me, use that as an excuse to get some nice 7th gen tails or some LED ones.
Yeah I've noticed little tiny cracks at the top. Maybe after I get a few major purchases out of the way, I'll look into fixing up some 7th gen ones from a junkyard or just get some LED taillights. I've always wanted those

Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I also had a problem with condensation in the stock tail lights. I removed them from the car and drilled 3 small holes (1 in each rear corner/1 in center front) in a triangular pattern in the bottom of the lights. Then I used a hair dryer to dry them out and reinstalled them. This eliminated the condensation problem but I eventually replaced them with LED tail lights to increase visibility.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member

I'd say just let them dry out then reseal around the lens where necessary.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I tried to dry/reseal my tail lights prior to drilling holes in the bottom of them and the condensation returned a couple days after they were back on the car. The difference in temperature between the air inside the light and the ambient temperature is what causes condensation to form. Drilling the holes helped to equalize the temperature and (for me) prevented it from returning. Have you ever noticed that some companies incorporate a vent tube into the housing of their lighting products? The holes I drilled serve the same purpose. I'm not saying it is a 'cure all' for the problem, but it worked for me.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
I tried to dry/reseal my tail lights prior to drilling holes in the bottom of them and the condensation returned a couple days after they were back on the car. The difference in temperature between the air inside the light and the ambient temperature is what causes condensation to form. Drilling the holes helped to equalize the temperature and (for me) prevented it from returning. Have you ever noticed that some companies incorporate a vent tube into the housing of their lighting products? The holes I drilled serve the same purpose. I'm not saying it is a 'cure all' for the problem, but it worked for me.
That is true now that you mention it. The reverse light housings on our cars have a small 1/4" hole on the top with some kind of fine mesh material covering it so it can "breath" but not let in water and debris. I noticed that when I took the housings out to smoke the lenses.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM

the 5th gen lights have a vent on back but mine are still filled with condensation

Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM

I have it too. usually when it happens right after i wash it, rains, or whenever there is water over the lense at any time. What i usually do after i wash it i dry them off first or when it rains when it stops dry off the tail lights before the sun comes out. when light or heat hits them it seems thats when i get moisture in them. This is very common for these monte carlos and grand prix. Just do what some have said above or just keep driying them off when you get moisture in around them and you should be fine. that or just buy new good looking LED tailights :P

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Condensation in Tail lights.