Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cold start problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 09:54 PM
1 Year Member
Default Cold start problems

My wifes 2000 Monte SS has been having a no cold start problem. When it is cold, below 35 or 40 degrees and she tries to start it, the engine will turn over for a few seconds like normal. When cranking it will fire once and the engine will stop cranking. So, turn the key to start the engine cranks for a second or two then a loud woof and the engine will just about jump out of the engine bay and it stops cranking. Let the key off and hit it again and it will do the same thing. About 20 or 30 times and it will finally start and run rough for a minute or two then smooth out and run fine. When it warms up it runs good and when it is warm outside it starts good.
Today the starter went out. I am guessing the continued trying to start it stripped the gear because it will crank one or two revolutions and the starter will disengage just like the gear is bad. But it will still fire once real hard and not start.
It almost makes me think the timing is too far advanced. When the starter kicks out it will let a burst of air out through the intake, but it has not backfired through the intake. And like I said it starts and runs fine when it is warm or once it is warmed up.
So far I have changed the battery, the mass air flow sensor and the coils and ignition module but none of these has helped.