Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Climate Control Questions & Thumping noise...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Default Climate Control Questions & Thumping noise...

So, being the procrastinator I am, I haven't replaced the blower resistor yet, to get fan speeds 1-2 to work again. However, I have other questions about my HVAC system, but I'm not sure if the resistor would solve these issues or not? It's tax time, gotta get my list together in advance!

- The blower barely blows. When it's on 5, it feels "normal" -- 3 feels like "low." It wouldn't blow your hair on 5, if it was pointing at your face. If you put it on foot/face, defrost/foot it hardly comes out at all, on 5. Would the blower resistor have an effect on how hard the air blows out? Or is that the motor going out on me?? Or something totally different??

- When I turn the speeds from 4 to 5 or vice versa, I hear a click from under the passenger dash. I don't hear the click from any other speed adjustments, just between 4&5. This really isn't an issue, just odd?

- It doesn't blow where I want it to! It seems to always cook my right foot, no matter what the vent position is on. Then when I wanted it on my frozen feet, I turned it to 5 on foot only and my eyeballs were drying out, from it blowing on the windshield. Would this be the climate control switch itself? Or something else behind the scenes that is not sending the air where it should be going?

It blows some serious heat, so that part works just fine!

Last but not least, I hear a thumping noise every now and then from the rear end. I used to hear it in my 06 Pontiac Torrent too. It sounds like someone kicking the back of the seat or something, in a rhythm. 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2. It's quick and only lasts like 4 "sets" of beats. It's not loud, but it's noticeable. It happens when I'm driving, or stopped, in park or anything, maybe once a week, or a few times a month. What is in the rear end that would make a beating sound???? Nothing crucial happens when it does this, everything seems normal.

Sorry for the extra long post. I seem to have a problem with stopping once I start typing.