Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Loud Thumping And Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Loud Thumping And Vibration

Hello everyone! Hit 120,000 miles on the 03 SS and was greeted by an unwelcome guest Here's the problem: Under ONLY hard acceleration, in first gear, there is a loud and violent thumping noise that sounds like its coming from up front. You can also feel the vibration in the floor. It is definitely worse while turning left, like turning left out of a street and gunning it (makes me think wheel hub). But it also happens going straight. It doesn't happen while accelerating normally or any other gear than 1st (which makes me think transmission). However, I did just have the transmission checked maybe 3k miles ago and they didn't see anything wrong with it. So I have no idea..

Also, I'm hearing a whining noise, that kind of sounds like powering steering. This could be unrelated, but I figured the more info the better. Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your main problem is sounding suspect of a wheel bearing. They can whine going straight and NORMALLY are really noticed when turning. I keep forgetting the rule for how to figure which bearing is bad. It's something like "If you make a left turn and the noise comes up, it's the right bearing". Don't quote me, look that one up. But I really think it sounds like a bearing assembly.
Use RockAuto.com and buy a good American Made Timken (I have one on my Monte and two on the wife's Impala, Rock was the CHEAPEST place to get one from, beat out the local shops at the time).

Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM

Hey justjack the front of your car up and shack the tire from top to bottom and if it moves any and i mean any it is either bad or going bad that how the inspect the cars for inspection

Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I have jacked the car up but it's hard to tell if the wheels moving at all when i shake it. Ill probably end up taking it to a shop to get it diagnosed to make sure its nothing else

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default thumping noise

Since u didnt mention it and im not all that familiar with your monte...If i see correctly that it is a SS..that means you have the 3.8 in it..or am i worng?

My guess is: Since you said you checked the wheel bearings and noticed no movement..... Maybe since you said it made the noise rounding left turns and under hard acceleration.....

I would check all the joints of the axles on both ends let aand right.
and possibly check the boots for leakage..Once the grease is gone..It doesnt take much for those joints to wear out..... and start clunking and squealing..... Maybe you could check all the trans and motor mounts...

I'd be curious at what the problem is...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 PM

5 Year Member
Default Possible answer to clunking..

Found this on a car and saftey consumer reports for your 2003 monte hope it helps:

CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2003 Safety Review #10137986 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2003 car safety problem was reported on Sept 27, 2005.CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2003, manufactured by GENERAL MOTORS CORP. had a problem with POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL . WHILE DRIVING THE CAR TO WORK, HEARD A CLUNK-GRIND SOUND ON A RIGHT TURN. DROVE TO WORK ANYWAY ON THE FREEWAY - ABOUT 15 MINUTES. WHEN PULLING INTO MY PARKING SPOT, TURNING RIGHT, THE CLUNK-GRIND SOUND APPEARED AGAIN AND THEN JUST MADE A GRINDING SOUND. AFTER HAVING THE CAR TOWED TO A CHEVY DEALER, WAS TOLD IT WAS A BROKEN RIGHT-FRONT AXLE. THE DEALER IS CURRENTLY REPAIRING, BUT THE CAR IS LESS THAN TWO FULL YEARS OLD AND HAS ONLY 41,500 MILES. I CALLED CHEVORLET CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY ARE PICKING UP ALMOST 50% OF THE $600 REPAIR BILL. THANK GOODNESS THIS DIDN'T BREAK WHILE I WAS DRIVING 75 MPH. ON THE FREEWAY!*JB.0 person(s) were injured. 0 person(s) died.Mileage was 41500 miles. CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2003 problem was reported in PRAIRIE VILLAGE, KS. Vehicle was using ANTI-LOCK BRAKES.Vehicle was using Cruise Control.Vehicle had 6 CYLINDERS. CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2003 drive type:FWD. FUEL SYSTEM:Fuel injection. FUEL TYPE: GAS. CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 2003 TRANSMISSION TYPE: AUTO. VEHICLE SPEED: 5 mph.

Heres the Link: for the site..

http://car-and-safety.com/chevrolet-...carlo-2003.htm

Last edited by STUMPMI; 03-18-2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestions STUMPMI, and yes it is a 3.8L. Another note: The thumping does seem to be in sync with the rotation of the tires. But since im not as mechanically inclined as I wish i was, im not sure how to go about checking the axles, motor and transmission mounts. So i think my only option is to have somebody look at it.. If it is a wheel hub, I don't doubt I'd be able to change it myself. Its just the diagnosis part that I'm not sure of.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by monteguy03
Thanks for the suggestions STUMPMI, and yes it is a 3.8L. Another note: The thumping does seem to be in sync with the rotation of the tires. But since im not as mechanically inclined as I wish i was, im not sure how to go about checking the axles, motor and transmission mounts. So i think my only option is to have somebody look at it.. If it is a wheel hub, I don't doubt I'd be able to change it myself. Its just the diagnosis part that I'm not sure of.

I hope the post of what seemed to be the same thing you were experienceing.....Thought id try to find the problem for you and searched the net...Incase its been a reoccuring problem on the 03's

and your welcome...
Happy to help...

Would like to know what the problem actually is:

PS Great Looking Monte!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Would like to know what the problem actually is:

PS Great Looking Monte!
Once I get it all figured out I'll be sure to let you guys know.

And thanks man! I appreciate it!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE2000SS
Hey justjack the front of your car up and shack the tire from top to bottom and if it moves any and i mean any it is either bad or going bad that how the inspect the cars for inspection
that's how you check the wheel bearings, they can go bad quite often on these cars if not replaced by with good one's the first time. I'm talking like every 50k or so. when going down the road a mechanically trained ear can usually hear the wheel bearings going bad also. you might wanna check the back one's to.

usually if a drive axles getting bad you'll get some shake while accelerating but it'll go away when throttle is let off. it does go away when you let off correct?

I would pretty much count the tranny mount's out but i guess ya never know what could truly be wrong, although it would probably clunk around quite a bit more shifting through all your gears.

hopefully that helps ya a tid bit more

Quick Reply: Loud Thumping And Vibration