Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check engine light ( urgent)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 PM
1 Year Member

How do i unhook battery ive never done it before.... - and i just have to remove engine the engine cover for the solenoid right ? Where would i purchase a gas cap? And how would i do a vacuum test for leaks? - i wanna do this on my own with parts i buy because the mechanic wants about 170 with parts / labor and thats not in my range and i know the parts are only like 50$ for the solenoid gas cap right??

Old 06-14-2014, 12:30 AM

I just replaced my gas cap, it was $45 at the dealer. Probably should have did some shopping online, but did expect it to be so much.

I had a gasket that was cracking so thought it best to replace before it was an issue.

Good luck with the repairs.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 03monte ss - Red Baron
How do i unhook battery ive never done it before.... - and i just have to remove engine the engine cover for the solenoid right ? Where would i purchase a gas cap? And how would i do a vacuum test for leaks? - i wanna do this on my own with parts i buy because the mechanic wants about 170 with parts / labor and thats not in my range and i know the parts are only like 50$ for the solenoid gas cap right??

the battery is on the passenger side. you will need an 8mm (iirc) wrench to undo the terminals. ground (black) first, power (red) last. reconnect the opposite way.

yes you just need to take the cover off to get to the solenoid, its right in front on top of the valve cover (on the 3800). you can pick one up from a junk yard for next to nothing, and in most cases, actually nothing. its a small part that pull your own stuff junk yards do not typically charge for since it fits in your pocket

get a gas cap from the parts store like autozone, oreilly's, napa, advanced auto parts, etc etc etc. shouldnt be more than $15 (if you go to the junk yard, i bet you could get a couple for free as well)

vacuum tests would be done using a vacuum gauge and can cost $10-$100. though, your best way to test is to visually check the vacuum lines for cracks or breaks in the rubber. the older the car, the higher the probability of having bad vacuum lines. you can also spray the vacuum lines with brake cleaner spay and listen to see if the engine revs higher when you spay certain areas. if it does, then you have a leak in that area.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by vikesfan
unhook battery
take your gas cap off, put it back on, be sure to click it 3-5 times.
10 mins later hook battery back up

if code comes back, replace gas cap and repeat the procedure above.

if code comes back after that...replace solenoid, its super easy to to do.

you can probably pick up a evap solenoid at a junkyard for just a few bucks.

it sits on the front of the engine by the front valve cover and oil cap and would take about 2 mins to replace.
I wonder if this is my problem i get a check engine light
i get code P0455 and code 137