Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Random Cylinder Misfire and Air Pump Check Engine Lights

Old 02-23-2011, 07:33 AM
Default Random Cylinder Misfire and Air Pump Check Engine Lights

So Ive been having a lot of issues with the MC recently. The most recent was a check engine light which I had scanned as a Random Cylinder Misfire and another for the Air Pump failure (blows fuses). My engine bogs down hardcore and I have absolutely no acceleration when driving. Its been getting worse so now I'm starting to worry. Im thinking its an air intake issue, possibly the intake manifold? I checked the air filter, its not the cleanest thing but its definitely not hindering airflow too much. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should check? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Can you give the number of each of the codes? That would help narrow it down a little.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by zipper
Can you give the number of each of the codes? That would help narrow it down a little.
Definitely! the first is P0300: "Cylinder misfire detected - random cylinderes
The second is P0410: 'Secondary air injection system fault"

Very grateful for any input anyone has in this matter.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I were you, I would check all of the spark plugs real quick and see what they look like, but you really need to have a compression test run on your Monte. Let us know what happens after that.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:37 PM

Sounded either like sucking air or the air pump eating it so I checked the engine today while changing my brakes and serpentine belt (which is a total PIA, there is no way that the tensioner should be at full extension and barely able to get the belt on). All spark plugs in perfect condition, but the upper intake manifold appears to have NO gasket. I heard a whisting (low pitch) today while accellerating so I thought I had an air leak somewhere. Turns out its spotty all around over the manifold. Guess Ill be pulling that off tomorrow after work. Anyone know if this is a tough job? Seems like a ton of wires and such on top that I have to take off before I can get the manifold off. TIA

Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 AM

So my air pump check valve was melted through and almost melted through my fuel lines, AHHH. But I still have no power after replacing it. Could it be the air/smog pump itself?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:07 PM

hey what does the air pump look like?