Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car not shifting after/around 50mph - whiney noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:08 PM
Default Car not shifting after/around 50mph - whiney noise

So I went to drive today and noticed it wasnt shifting right around 50mph, I think thats 3rd gear.

There's also a slight whiney or winding sound - it almost sounds like a car from the Jetson's cartoon-kinda sound.

Also, when I shut the car off, the whiney sound winds down and stops.

Could it be a full transmission rebuild that I need? Just a flush?

Anyone heard of this? Im taking to a shop tmrw for certain. Lemme know your thoughts please. Thanks guys

Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Whining/groaning is normally power steering issues.

Hit the basics, check if your power steering fluid is properly filled. Do the same with the trans. If the trans fluid is low it WON'T shift properly.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM

Power steering being low wouldnt have anything to do with it not shifting, I would imagine.

There is tranny fluid in there and a mechanic friend smelled it and said "Well, it needs serviced, but it's not completely terrible - ive seen far worse"

Could it be a solenoid?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RasCricket
Power steering being low wouldnt have anything to do with it not shifting, I would imagine.
Correct, low PS fluid would not have anything to do with the shifting. I suggested checking it as a result of the "whining" you mentioned. You may have two problems going on, not just one.

Originally Posted by RasCricket
There is tranny fluid in there and a mechanic friend smelled it and said "Well, it needs serviced, but it's not completely terrible - ive seen far worse"

Could it be a solenoid?
But is the trans fluid level at the correct level? Low fluid will cause shifting issues. Also, you should pan drop and change the fluid filter no later then 100,000 miles (if not sooner). If it has not been done at a reasonable service interval, you may have other problems. As far as solenoid problems, I don't know enough about transmissions to tell you that one.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM

I've always heard that tranny's do start to make a "whine" kind of sound, or a high(er) pitch type of squeal sound when they have issue.

I'm sure there's someone who will pass across this and know what I mean. Thanks very much for the help

Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Through my own research, I'm seeing many responses about either the TCC or the PCS being the issue.

I will update this after I go get it diagnosed tmrw = feel free to comment

Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 PM

So the update:

I got it diagnosed and there were "supposedly" no error codes from the transmission. A guy drove it and surmised the 3rd/4th clutch is blown.

Told me I need a whole new transmission.

Here's where I need some advice: The car is a 2000 MC SS with 166000 miles.

Should I fix her with a used tranny for about $1100? Sound like its worth it.

Ill be making another thread asking this question.

I'm actually VERY surprised I didnt see more educated guessing going on here with over 50 views to this topic. The list of possibilities is NOT very long when someone says "My car isnt shifting after/around 50mph."

Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 PM

10 Year Member

Don't feel bad about a limit of replies. Speaking for myself, my diagnostics on transmissions are limited. I can only assume same for most of us here.

Thanks for the update.

As for swapping with a salvage trans, I think it comes down to what the mileage is on the donor and what the warranty terms are.

When my wife and I bought a '05 Impala (same trans as the Monte), it had a blown trans, but the deal was hard to pass up. The car had 150K on it (that was on a 5 year old car).
Anycase, my options were:
- A shop could do the full rebuild $1800 with a 1 year warranty.
- Source a salvage trans
I actually found a salvage trans with about 70K on it, for a small fee I could have a parts/labor 1 year warranty, delivered to the shop working on the car for $700. Another $500 for shop install, fluids/filter. $1200 said and done.

I went with the salvage trans, this was in December of 2010. Car has over 170K on it now and still runs great.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Just seen this post, my first guess would of been a torque converter making the whining noise and the not shifting deal I would of guessed that you were mistaking a 3-4 shift for a converter lockup (feels like a shift)

I would be surprised if 3rd clutches are bad but 4th clutches are a possibility... if there slipping they won't engage and possibly make a whining noise....

My vote is drop the trans and figure out what's wrong, if you have space indoors buy a gm 4t65 tech manual and rebuild it yourself for a lot cheaper and if you do this it will be like a brand new trans.

Most people are intimidated when they hear rebuild the trans as I also was until I seen one torn apart and rebuilt and realized how easy it is to do.

I have a thread on here of my trans build showing pics step by step if you are interested in getting an idea of what's involved.....

Old 01-14-2014, 12:13 AM

There we go! Thanks turbo monte!

So the mechanic told me, im pretty sure this is what he said, "The 3rd and 4th clutches are blown." At least, I thought I heard him say they both were.

However, he only surmised this after driving it.

Right after that, the only other thing they recommended was a full rebuild which they very loosely threw out a figure of $2400 at me.

I'm not going back there because they weren't remotely nice at all. They laughed when I asked if it could be the PCS and said "It wouldnt even run, hahaha" = as if I know that! Terrible "bedside manner" for mechanics, id say.

Here's what Im lookin at:

I sourced a used tranny for $600 delivered - Im going to try to find someone for $500 to put it in. Cheaper if I can.

It does have 166000 miles but I think if I fix the trans for $1200 absolute-max, I could still sell this 2000 Monte with minor problems for a about $2000.

Quick Reply: Car not shifting after/around 50mph - whiney noise