Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car goes into gear without pushing brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car goes into gear without pushing brake

I have a 2000 monte carlo ss. My car with go into gear just by pressing the button and moving the gear shift up or down. Doesn't have to be crunk or ev3n have the key in it. Im afraid the wrong person will get in it one day and it will roll down a hill somewhere. Where do i start to fix this problem.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 AM

I dont know a ton. But i know under the steeering wheel is a cluster **** of wires and a couple sensors. Some of tem talk to eachother and cancel eachother out when one isnt active, for instance when the clutch is pressed in the sensor beneath i believe opens a circuit to allow the ignition to send spark etc. This is anautomatic so i suppose pressing in the brake might open a circuit or send some sort of solenoid or it could be mechanical i dont know.

You might need to look at ome wiring diagrams and maybe check the fuses. Im not 100% certain because the only electrical exprience ive had is on an 88 camaro 5 speed. That was a nightmare...and that was an old car with no power anything...i dont even want to think about whats going on underneath my ss....*shudder*

Last edited by Video; 07-18-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:54 PM

there is some kind of shift lock that is built into the shift mechanism in the center console, probably electrically driven, as mentioned above. If you have an owners manual, i know there is a blurb about the shift lock aspect somewhere in the inspections section of the manual (about checking to see if the car can be put into gear in other than normal conditions)...this might help you figure out where to start.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Default Going into gear without pressing brake

Hi, I'm new here and have only had my 03 Monte Carlo ls for 2 weeks but I had this issue and the shop only had to lube the mech in the shifter and now it works smooth have to push the button and break to shift from park. Hope this helps

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Do you also have issues with your cruise control?

If so, you might want to check your brake light switch. Typically the cruise control and the brake/shifter interlock are tied into the same switches since the bean counters don't want to add any extra parts to the cars that might increase costs.

I've had a similar problem on my truck. Replaced the brake light switch and problem solved.