Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car dies intermittantly going down the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Default Car dies intermittantly going down the road

I am new here, so if this has been discussed before, I'm sorry for the unnecessary repeat question. Bought my '01 M/C SS in Jan. '07, has ran fine until the last few weeks. It will die at intersections as well as going down the road. Very intermittant, no similar details with each episode. City driving mostly, hasn't done it on the highway yet. No codes are showing up, fuel pressure is fine. New plugs, new wires, fuel injector cleaner, air filter. Haven't replaced fuel filter yet, one of the plug wires was bad, not visibly but had no resistance when I happened to check all the old ones. Was hopeful that was the problem, but acted up on me again yesterday. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem too or something like this. Thanks for any helpful hints!

Old 06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Default RE: Car dies intermittantly going down the road

[align=center]Hi Richie & Welcome to the MCF,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]- I hope Ucome backafter you prob is resolved -[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would change the Fuel Filter...It's always a good investment[/align][align=center]to your Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]A restricted gas filter could cause those problems.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck & Post what the prob was, when found.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Be Patience, & I'm sure other members with more knowledge then[/align][align=center]I, will also post suggestions, cure....[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-]Click below link 4 previous post on subject [:-][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_13240/tm.htm[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 PM

check your idle air control valve

Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

it sounds like its going to be a sensor of some sort, not all sensors throw off codes though...

Old 06-19-2007, 03:56 PM

I would check the crank sensor.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:55 PM

you say no codes, but do you mean the check engine light isnt on, or has it actually been hooked up to a scanner? there could be codes without ever having the check engine light on.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 PM

I had a Bonnivlle that was doing that
Found out it was the main ECM casuing the problem

Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies, sorry this took so long to get back on here. My stepfather has had the car since I posted the first message. He basically did a tune up : replaced plugs, plug wires, new air filter, new fuel filter, new ignition control module. He also hooked up a ODB II scanner & a fuel line pressure gauge too. No fault codes at all (before or after all the upgrades) & fuel pressure is fine. Car has not acted up yet, but I just got it back yesterday. These damn intermittant problems are so hard to nail down, so I'm hoping we got lucky & something we replaced was the problem.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:14 PM

Wait till ya try to track down intermittant security alarm problems....

Anyway Welcome To MCF Richie and hope this has cleared up for ya!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:55 PM

i've heard of crank sensors, and ecms causing this on 3.8s, but on older cars. my 94 olds 88 i put in an ecm that didnt fix it, then a crank sensor that did fix it. if it continues i'd pop for the cheaper of the 2, if that doesnt get it, try the other.