Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Can't believe people overlook it

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Default Can't believe people overlook it

Probably the most forgot about fluid in automobiles, brake fluid. I have changed my fluid once with valuecraft brake fluid. Today I was painting my calipers so I flushed the old fluid out. This is from the master cylinder and rear calipers/lines. Remember, this fluid only has ~12,000 miles on it.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Thats terrible looking. I am starting my 100K change all fluids on my 03 SS and the brakes are on the top of my flush list. Do you think that it may be that less expensive valuecraft brake fluid?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 PM

I have no doubt that is part of it. I put prestone DOT 3 fluid back in.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
Probably the most forgot about fluid in automobiles, brake fluid. I have changed my fluid once with valuecraft brake fluid. Today I was painting my calipers so I flushed the old fluid out. This is from the master cylinder and rear calipers/lines. Remember, this fluid only has ~12,000 miles on it.

Even though dirty brake fluid is unattractive, I've never heard that it leads to the wear and tear of any parts. (As in tranny fluid or engine oil.) I could be wrong, just haven't run across anyone mentioning it.

I worked as a salesman in a brake shop. We always recommended a flush for the soul purpose of adding to the bottom line. It is an easy way to make fast money.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:38 PM

I have noticed that over time the pedal will get softer after a few hard brake applications. I have a tendency to drive my Monte quite spiritedly on deserted back roads. From my research, this pedal feel come from the fluid absorbing water and lowering the boiling point of the fluid. Not to mention, clean fluid can't be bad for the ABS system. For 6 bucks you can flush the entire system out and put good fluid in. That's cheaper than an oil filter.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
I have noticed that over time the pedal will get softer after a few hard brake applications. I have a tendency to drive my Monte quite spiritedly on deserted back roads. From my research, this pedal feel come from the fluid absorbing water and lowering the boiling point of the fluid. Not to mention, clean fluid can't be bad for the ABS system. For 6 bucks you can flush the entire system out and put good fluid in. That's cheaper than an oil filter.
I agree. If one drives aggressively, clean fluid can only be a good thing.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I've driven cars that were at least 30 yrs old and never had brake fluid issues. The only time it was changed when i would do disk brake upgrades.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 AM

Most people would probably never notice a difference. Only fluid I have left to change for now is the power steering fluid.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with those who say they have never heard of problems with the brakes as a result of old fluid. But I would agree, it's probably a good idea to flush it out and put some good clean stuff in from time to time.

Power steering fluid is probably the second most over looked fluid to flush....

Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I once drove a 73 AMC Hornet SportAbout from NJ to CA that was mostly stock. From what i recall, the brake fluid had never been changed. Never gave me any problems.

People, also dont forget to flush the toilet. LOL

Quick Reply: Can't believe people overlook it