Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

blower motor resistor help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Default blower motor resistor help

well the other day i went to go turn my car off and the blower kept running. it runs on high no matter what and i can still switch it from floor to vents to windsheild, etc. i have a 2004 monte carlo LS. i went and got a new blower motor, a new resistor, and a new wiring harness/pigtail for that.

got the blower motor out finally after finding the 5.5mm i needed and then was stumped to see these two black things holding in the resister they dont look like any sort of screw or fitting like for an allen wrench or anything. i managed to find someone online that said they just had to pry them off and then buy some screws to install it back on. no big deal.

well they gave me a resistor that has a 7 pin slot and the pigtail has 7 large wires coming out of it..

the one in my car however has a 5 pin slot and the wires coming out of that theres only 3 and its just weird.

on a side note ive been unplugging the motor when i stop driving and plugging it back in when im driving so i have some heat. should i avoid that for fear of burning something or is there no problem doing that while i try and troubleshoot this? Thanks

Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The two black things you mentioned around the currently installed blower motor resistor are fused heat stakes. You need to chisel or drill them out. You will have to source 2 screws when you put the new one in.
This was GM cutting costs. I had my entire HVAC module out of the car and to get into it, I had to remove a lot of this things. I regret I did not do the blow motor resistor (at least break the stakes and put a couple of screws in) while I had the HVAC module out.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM

Thank you. Why does my car have a resistor in it with a 5 pin slot and a pigtail with 3 wires when the parts they gave me and all the parts I see online have a. 7 pin connector and. 7 wire harness?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't have an answer to that. I have seen after market resistors and blower motors that had pig tails on them (which I steer away from if I can, as I try to go with an OEM fit).

As for the pin/wire count, no idea. The only thing I can guess is that the part you have may not be correct or is some type of "universal fit"...