Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bcm

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Bcm

As some of you may know my radio (RDS) has gone bonkers. The only thing that works is the ***** to turn it on/off and change the station. None of the buttons work, no steering wheel controls for the radio (cruise controls still work though). When you open the door it makes one beep and the clock takes off running through the minutes. Hubby decided to stick a cd in it. Thank God it was George Strait because until it gets fixed that's all I can listen to because it won't give it back.

Also, sometimes when I turn the car off, just for a split second just long enough for a glimpse, I see that damn security light. Haven't had any problems - so far, with starting since the Passlock/ignition cylinder was replaced.

Sooo I'm thinking BCM. What do you think?

Last edited by dustybird3; 04-01-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Arrow ATTENTION MEMBER's DustyBird3 Needs HELP !!!!

Hi `Becky,
Found the below infor on a `SpaceSearch.
Maybe it will help.
ok, not sure why the dealer couldn't unlock the radio. fairly simple the radio has to be unlocked with a GM class two scan tool. all dealers have this scan tool. the only other possibility is, if the BCM was not set up properly. which in your case may be the problem

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:
• A radio is installed from another vehicle• A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool.

goodwrench9124 -- ASE Certified Technician -- 100% Positive Feedback on 1222 Chevy Accepts
GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified,32 yrs. exp., GM Hybrid Certified, GM mark of Excellence

Good Luck `Becky

Old 04-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

The radio isn't really "locked" per se. And the dealer can get the code when I'm ready to hand over a hundred dollar bill for them to scan it, LOL.

Anyway, called the guy that replaced the Passlock, he stopped by and said he's 99% certain it's the radio and it's stuck in "clock" mode. Said I need a new radio. Supposed to get a price for me and get back to me. I can't do anything about it until Uncle Sam sends my tax refund anyway. He said it's not going to hurt anything else as is, I just have to listen to George while driving now, which will be ok - for a while, LOL.
He said he's not sure why I'm seeing the security light periodically, so it could still be something with the BCM. Hopefully that will be a long way down the road (but close to home if it does crap out, LOL).