Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Wont start!! Passlock? PCM? BCM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Default Wont start!! Passlock? PCM? BCM?

Ok I have a 2003 monte carlo ls. I just recently had the bright idea of upgrading my factory radio to a shiny new pioneer. I did not disconnect the battery while doing this. (brilliant). When i tried to start the car, the key would not turn. I jiggled i wiggled....nothing. I eventually replaced both the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch. Well, now the car wont crank at all. I turn the key to crank and no response. Lights are on and radio is on. Everything works, radio, lights, but the car doesnt seem to be sending a signall to the starter or something. Changed the battery....nothing. Tried the passlock relearn....nothing. Disabled my aftermarket alarm....nothing. Everything worked just fine up until i changed the radio and the lock and ignition switch. Security light comes on but doesnt stay on and only flashes for a second. Dont know what happened. I have the interface for the radio so i know its not the radio. Took it to the dealer and they were licking their chops. After $500 in diagnostics (not labor or parts just diagnostics ) I took it home. The following codes appeared on the diagnostics

P1626-Theft Deterent Fuel enable Signal Lost
B2960-Security sensor data incorrect
B1440-Power mode master circuit incorrect

I have since purchased a new PCM with the passlock/security feature deleted from the PCM and programmed to my VIN. I have not recieved it yet.

Please if anybody has had a similar problem HELP. HELP me oh god please HELP!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:31 PM

500 is diag and the dealer couldnt tell u anything? it sounds like passlock is preventing u from starting the car. did they tell u anything else?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They charged you $500 to diagnose, and didnt even find the problem??? Screw that, I would be contacting GM if I were you...from what you are saying, it sounds to me like the dealer just gave up on finding your problem, and is charging you for what you already knew...

I'm no expert at this stuff by any means, but I would guess that it has to do with the passlock too. I also know that in the 2000-2005 ish GM cars, the radio had some anti theft thing, that would disable the radio if not in the correct car....beings this happend after you intalled the new radio, I wonder if that has anything to do with it...I think its all tied to the passlock. My 06 Monte doesnt have any of that passlock stuff, but my 03 Cavalier did, and so does my mom's 2000 Bonneville, and I know for sure you have to be careful about not getting the radio's locked up in these cars......

Old 05-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by kweef
500 is diag and the dealer couldnt tell u anything? it sounds like passlock is preventing u from starting the car. did they tell u anything else?

Service manager at the dealer was a terrible human being. He started off our conversation by saying that he cant stand monkeys. (referring to a black man who needed service on his Tahoe.) Then he said that he wanted to give me the "family special" while chuckling. Told me that he wold have to charge me 4 hours to remove my PCM (at $110 an hour). 3 hours to remove my Clifford alarm (which i had already deactivated). And 2.5 hours to "repair" my harness (whatever that means). Total was $1300 and he said that was just to start. I had a feeling that he knew exactly what was wrong with my car but wanted to milk me. When i went to pay the cashier for the services, she asked me who helped me with my vehicle. I told her who helped me and she shook her head and gave me a terrible look. Never again,

I just want to fix this problem. I dont wanna be milked. Im gonna change my PCM to a new one with Passlock deleted alltogether. I have a Clifford alarm so Ill be ok. I just hope that this is all it is. Please help me fellas. PLEASE!!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:54 PM

I had to demand a copy of the diagnostics. Thee codes showed up.

P1626-Theft Deterent Fuel enable Signal Lost
B2960-Security sensor data incorrect
B1440-Power mode master circuit incorrect

They were gonna do the following
1. Replace PCM-4 hours labor (WTF?)
2. Remove my aftermarket alarm (Why?)
3, Repair Harness (What does this mean? Ignition harness?)

I bought my own PCM with passlock deleted for $240. Im thinking about buying a new BCM if all else fails. Changed ignition lock and switch already. Bought new battery. Tested starter....ok. Help!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
They charged you $500 to diagnose, and didnt even find the problem??? Screw that, I would be contacting GM if I were you...from what you are saying, it sounds to me like the dealer just gave up on finding your problem, and is charging you for what you already knew...

I'm no expert at this stuff by any means, but I would guess that it has to do with the passlock too. I also know that in the 2000-2005 ish GM cars, the radio had some anti theft thing, that would disable the radio if not in the correct car....beings this happend after you intalled the new radio, I wonder if that has anything to do with it...I think its all tied to the passlock. My 06 Monte doesnt have any of that passlock stuff, but my 03 Cavalier did, and so does my mom's 2000 Bonneville, and I know for sure you have to be careful about not getting the radio's locked up in these cars......

Installed an interface wiring harness for the aftermarket radio. Got the chimes and warnings working. Dont think the radio is to blame. Dealer told me bad PCM or might have blown the BCM.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM

i wouldnt trust that dealer...go sumwhere else. he sounds horrible. and to change ur pcm should only take an hour and thats with removal reprogram and retest

Old 05-08-2009, 03:07 AM

i wouldnt trust that dealer...go sumwhere else. he sounds horrible. and to change ur pcm should only take an hour and thats with removal reprogram and retest
Yeah that guy was a jerk. He was a service manager over at Tropical Chevrolet over here in Miami. The mechanic was cool up until he said, and I quote...."The reason why he is putting down that many hours on your estimate is because, well, you know, I, I gotta get mine too."

My facial expression was like

Anyhow, my father who is very skilled in car electrics and mechanics is gonna try to bypass the passlock tomorrow. I still have that new PCM with the deleted security/passlock coming in just in case it does call for a new PCM. Wish me luck fellas.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 AM

Really sorry to read your post about the treatment that
you received at the dealership
People like that give their profession a bad name 4-Sure.
There still are honest people out there, but you have to
search them `out.
- You sure learned a expensive lesson -~>
"We live, & hopefully learn.., not 2 repeat the bad ones "

Hopefull that Service Manage will soon get a position in
HELL as a service manager...

It's great that your dad is skilled in electronic's, and hopefully
he will be able to correct your problems.
Wish you good luck, and keep us updated.
Look forward 2 your future posts.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

First, I would report that dang service manager and I wouldn't stop until some kind of disciplinary actions were taken, eben if that means going to GM directly and reporting the dealersip. In a time when they NEED customers they should be kissing your feet not trying to recoop the bailout money from you.

I'm not sure the problem, but sounds like it's definitely tied to the Passlock but it may be coming from the PCM side. This is a stupid question but, when you replaced the ignition switch you did replace the passlock too, right? And didn't just get a plain ignition cylinder?

PLEASE keep us posted. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Wont start!! Passlock? PCM? BCM?