Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Badly need help... something inside transmission is preventing CV axle from going in

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 03:00 AM
Default Badly need help... something inside transmission is preventing CV axle from going in

So I've been trying anything and everything to get this axle in...pushing as hard as I can, greasing the end, and my most recent attempt was trying to resize the c-clip cause I noticed it was a bit larger in diameter than the end so I thought maybe it was blocking it from going in all the way. When that didn't work I took a closer look inside and from what I can see there is clearly something in the way and that is what I'm hitting. I just have no idea what it is and why it's there. Also, my shift cable is also loose so my shifter inside isn't holding any gears. It just slides thru all of them except park (still need to put foot on brake to release). The bushing on the shifter **** attached to the transmission isn't broken but past the bracket the cable is loose. Don't know if this could be correlated with the transmission issue.

A little back story, my car was vibrating and shaking extremely bad on my way home from my parents house which is 2hrs away from where I live. I had no choice but to continue to drive it that way since I was in the middle of nowhere. I did my best to try and keep it from happening but going anything over 40mph it was impossible to keep it from vibrating. I'm worried I messed the transmission up.

Thank you im advance for any help, insight, direction you can share with me!

Old 01-10-2021, 08:20 AM

That bar inside looks like the normal center bar for a 4t65 diff, see shiny bar in the center of this pic:

The internal splines should end before then.

If you think it seems abnormal inside you can always pop that diff cover off and remove the diff completely to check.

Is this a different axle you're putting in? If so, maybe its a different spline count / diameter from a different GM FWD trans?