Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bad wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 12:30 PM

You should take the cat off and temporary replace it with straight pipe if it was glowing red. That way you can asses any damage that may have occurred.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM

I just put the new cat and I new fuel filter on and no luck it still idles high and the stalls. I was going to change the fuel pressure regulator but I had a question do I really have to take apart the fuel rail to take it out I sure do hope not

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM

If you have the 3800 then I don't think so, just release fuel pressure and remove. Chibi posted something on how to check if their bad I can't remember what he said though. your problem could stool be another number of things though I'm surprised you have no cel's. Did you check for vacuum leaks yet ? If fpr is good then maybe try a pcv valve. After those 3 things I'm out of ideas.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm not too sure how to check for leaks but I did get the car on long enough to see that my check engine light was blinking so I put the scanner on and it said again random misfire P0300 but that's nothing new I already had that code

Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Earlier, you mentioned the CAT gets cherry red (a clear indicator the CAT is plugged). Have you replaced that CAT? I know you said it is a newer cat, still does not mean it's good or bad. A cherry red cat is a sign of a failed/plugged cat. If you have not changed it, you are missing the most obvious problem and further diagnostics are NOT worth while yet (as this might resolve everything).

As I understand the workings and issues with a plugged cat (or other part of the exhaust system).... If there is a back flow of gases in the engine, this could cause a mis-fire. In order to "fire", you need fuel, oxygen and spark. Once it ignites, all or almost all oxgen is used (the explosion requires the oxygen naturally in the air). With the cat backing up, the engine is getting too much exhaust gas, which is deprived of oxygen and there for creates problems firing.

I wonder if you remove the plugs (just go with the front head) if they are soaked in fuel, which means they are not igniting.

An old vandal trick to screw up a car is shove a potatoe in the exhaust pipe. If the potatoe is wedged in good enough (and the force of the exhaust does not blow it out), it will cause failure due to lack of ability to let the exhaust out.

Continuing to run with a failed cat (especially a clogged on) will result further problems and damage.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Yeah I changed the cat and a lot of other things that I did there was a list I put up a couple posts before this one also u can add to that fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter I'm out of ideas

Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by montecarlos26
Yeah I changed the cat and a lot of other things that I did there was a list I put up a couple posts before this one also u can add to that fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter I'm out of ideas
So I completely understand and I am clear on this, the cat that is currently on the car now has NEVER ever been cherry red while the car was running?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM

No I took the one that was red off and put a new one on like 2 days ago the car still isn't running and the low oil pressure light comes on when I do get it to start

Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM

I finally got a verdict on what was wrong with my car from my mechanic and he told me the horrific news that my engine is shot so I guess that's it no more Monte its gonna be hard to part ways I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and suggestions it was greatly appreciated and you guys will always be my family

Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 PM

10 Year Member

Now that you got some news (be it bad), what's shot? What was the final issue?

And sorry we could not help you get a more successful result.

Quick Reply: Bad wires?