Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   Bad wires? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/bad-wires-34675/)

MONTE CARLOS 03-04-2012 03:20 PM

Bad wires?

Could bad spark plug wires cause my 01 ls to idle hard and cut off and not start again

mwjames 03-04-2012 06:40 PM

Check for vacuum leaks, and inspect your idle air control. if you don't know were the iac is it would be worth your while to invest in a shop manual it will tell you were it is and how to inspect it.

blueSS 03-04-2012 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mwjames (Post 430688)
Check for vacuum leaks, and inspect your idle air control. if you don't know were the iac is it would be worth your while to invest in a shop manual it will tell you were it is and how to inspect it.

This pic shows where it is on a 3800... I suggest making sure all sensors and such are clean on the TB

mwjames 03-04-2012 07:44 PM

The iac pintle is spose to be extended a certain length idk it off the top my head. You may be able to google it otherwise I'll check my manual and try to post it.

The_Maniac 03-04-2012 10:15 PM

If you have over 100,000 on the stock plugs and wires, in general, a good time to change them for proper maintenance.

But a good check for vac leaks would be my starting point.

mwjames 03-04-2012 11:43 PM

when i got my first car, once i finished patching the gas line and patching some rust once the paint dried i took it to town, after i came out the store the car wouldn't start, if i let it sit for a few hours it would turn over like it never had a problem. at the time i didn't know much about cars so i had my step grandpa look at it, if i remember right it turned out to be the iac luckily i had a parts car in the backyard for it.

In other news I've seemed to misplace my shop manual somewhere. . . so i can't tell you at the moment what your pintle on the iac should be extended to. Maybe if you call your local parts store they might be able to tell ya by looking at a new one

MONTE CARLOS 03-05-2012 01:33 PM

Thanks for the help I already have the manual and I just got back from auto zone with the iac I will keep u updated on if it was the problem

MONTE CARLOS 03-05-2012 03:30 PM

So I changed the iac and now it starts but idles at 2000 and then cuts off and also the low oil pressure light comes on

mwjames 03-05-2012 03:55 PM

did that atleast fix the problem of it not wanting to start again after being ran for awhile? I'm not sure were to go from here, maybe a tps, oil is full? maybe a weak pulley, bad sensor, or bad oil pump?

MONTE CARLOS 03-05-2012 05:26 PM

My buddy came by and heard the car when it was running and he said it sounded like the car was misfiring so i am going to change the coils wires and plugs and see if that does it. Quick question are aftermarket coils good and are ac delco plugs good