Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bad wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

ac delco plugs are good, that should be what came stock. usually when i get new plug wires i'll go with the blue lifetime napa wires. as far as the coil packs go i would imagine aftermarket would be fine, i recently bought l67 coil packs and icm used for $20 from a local guy. you might wanna call the junkyards or look on craigslist for the coil packs because new i think they run like $50 bucks a pack

Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM

I know the packs are expensive but I seen them on eBay 3 for 35 bucks I don't know how good they are but it won't hurt to try. I had also seen on some other treads that it could be the fuel injectors cuz when I was changing my wires and plugs yesterday I noticed that there was gas on the front 3 plugs but not the back. Other members were saying that could be the problem

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

I also have another theory could my bad fuel injectors have clogged my cat completely because it is bright red every time I try to start the car

Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM

The cat should never be bright red, they plug up time to time. Your year is well known for it according to what I've read here.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Is there any way to unplug it or do I have to buy another one even though I bought this one November iv last year

Old 03-13-2012, 12:00 AM

The only way to unplug it is to drop it down and smash out the screen and insides making it hollow. Wich in turn would make you fail emissions. Do you have a warranty on it?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by montecarlos26
So I changed the iac and now it starts but idles at 2000 and then cuts off and also the low oil pressure light comes on
When you installed the new IAC did you refer to the manual and adjust the distance between the tip of the pintle to the mounting flange so it is =< 1.125"? That might be what's causing the initial high idle then the engine shutting down. Just a thought...

Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
When you installed the new IAC did you refer to the manual and adjust the distance between the tip of the pintle to the mounting flange so it is =< 1.125"? That might be what's causing the initial high idle then the engine shutting down. Just a thought...
Yah I took a tape measure and made sure. So tomorrow I was goin to change the ignition module and coils to see if that does it also I'm changing the cat again

Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mwjames
The only way to unplug it is to drop it down and smash out the screen and insides making it hollow. Wich in turn would make you fail emissions. Do you have a warranty on it?
Well I got it from rock auto tryna save a buck. But I thought I did but I didn't read the fine print they told me I would have to buy another one send them the one I have back so they can test it and if it was defective they would send me my money back but I can't afford that so ill go get one from autozone or something cuz at least I can go there if I have a problem and not just talk on the phone

Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Coils and ICM rarely go bad. I know the parts stores can test your ICM. I recommend finding the bad coil and going with an OEM or OEM Salvage coil (I've dealt with a couple after market ones, I don't feel they last as well as the OEM).

Now, you mentioned the cherry red cat, I agree with all who posted, you found your problem. Perhaps this could be a time to look at a high flow cat with complete down pipe from ZZPerformance.com if you want to upgrade performance while doing this. As for doing this cheaply, I'm really not sure what options you have unless you can get a salvage cat. For those who don't think a cat can last long, my '94 Grand Am has the ORIGINAL cat on it with over 215,000 miles. ZERO problems. Passes all local emissions checks.

Quick Reply: Bad wires?