Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Back tires scraping

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Back tires scraping

So I have a Chevy Monte Carlo SS 2000 and I have 22 inch rims on them. Every time I drive with people in the back the tires scrape. I know it has to do with the weight but also how big the rims are.

What do I need to do so my car won't scrape anymore and can actually carry more than 2 people in my car? Also tires are wasting fast because of this.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You would probably need stiffer springs like what people get when they lower their car. I think they do make something you can put into your actual spring to make it so it won't go so low but I am unsure of this.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

my first/best option i will give is dont have 22" wheels on a monte carlo, there huge and wear other parts way faster along with rubbing.

second option is a lift kit to make it like a monster truck as this is what trucks have to do when they get bigger tires.

you can use spring blockers but i dont suggest that as there really bouncy and can cause you to lose control and there illegal for street use.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Rubber band tires would be my suggestion.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

I agree with Turbo Monte's first suggestion. "Don't have 22s on a 6th gen Monte"! I speak from personal experience. Ol Yella had 22s on her when I got her. And no factory rims. (See pics bellow) They looked good, she looked good, but boy were they a Nightmare. Not only did I have to rebuild the suspension, but I had a lot of grounds I had to re connect, almost all of my sensors, trans rebuild, exhaust, re tighten my dash. All because with 22s there is NO FLEX in the sidewalls. So every Bump, pebble or ant I hit shook things up that don't like to be shaken. Plus the tires were expensive. 22s also damage easy. I went thru a set and a half in a years time. And they are much heavier than stock so they had a negative effect on my gas mileage too.
Now I have 18s all around. 3" of sidewall make a big difference! (pic below) She rides much better, quieter. I hit a bump and it feels like a bump not a curb. If you are showing your car, that's when you put the 22s on. Otherwise I would say no more that 18s to 20s max!
But to help you with your rubbing problem, I have these Rear Coil Spring Spacers. When installed right they give you an extra 2" of travel before your tires and quarter panels meet.

Adjustable Rear Coil Spring Spacer, Spreader or Compressor

They will also stiffen up the ride in the rear a little. I kept them on when I replace the suspension. I'm an Old school car guy and thing a car looks like it's fast when the rear sits a little higher than the front. But the only time you can tell that there is a 2" lift is when I am sitting next to another 6th gen. Otherwise it looks stock.
So, in the short term I recommend the spring spacers but in the long term I recommend only using the 22s for Shows and get a smaller size for daily cruising with your friends.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG422.jpg (80.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG361.jpg (94.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by JC Colon; 10-31-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
I agree with Turbo Monte's first suggestion. "Don't have 22s on a 6th gen Monte"! I speak from personal experience. Ol Yella had 22s on her when I got her. And no factory rims. (See pics bellow) They looked good, she looked good, but boy were they a Nightmare. Not only did I have to rebuild the suspension, but I had a lot of grounds I had to re connect, almost all of my sensors, trans rebuild, exhaust, re tighten my dash. All because with 22s there is NO FLEX in the sidewalls. So every Bump, pebble or ant I hit shook things up that don't like to be shaken. Plus the tires were expensive. 22s also damage easy. I went thru a set and a half in a years time. And they are much heavier than stock so they had a negative effect on my gas mileage too.
Now I have 18s all around. 3" of sidewall make a big difference! (pic below) She rides much better, quieter. I hit a bump and it feels like a bump not a curb. If you are showing your car, that's when you put the 22s on. Otherwise I would say no more that 18s to 20s max!
But to help you with your rubbing problem, I have these Rear Coil Spring Spacers. When installed right they give you an extra 2" of travel before your tires and quarter panels meet.

Adjustable Rear Coil Spring Spacer, Spreader or Compressor

They will also stiffen up the ride in the rear a little. I kept them on when I replace the suspension. I'm an Old school car guy and thing a car looks like it's fast when the rear sits a little higher than the front. But the only time you can tell that there is a 2" lift is when I am sitting next to another 6th gen. Otherwise it looks stock.
So, in the short term I recommend the spring spacers but in the long term I recommend only using the 22s for Shows and get a smaller size for daily cruising with your friends.
Your 18's look waaay better JC, in that the thicker tires really give your car the aggressive car appearance, where as the others don't make your Monte look serious.

People do "roll" the fenders to permit additional clearance don't they?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Thank you for the comments, guys. I think I am just going to sell my 22's and get some nice 18's. 22's came with the car so I didn't have a choice. They look nice but man are they a hassle. Tires are expensive, gas mileage and I don't have a spare if one of my tires pops.

Thanks again.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Excellent choice!!

Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Thanks Zippy!
Bizzy, mine came the same way, 22s and just a donut. I actually drive with the donut for 6 months till I could afford the 18s. Now I have 5 of the 18s with tires. I had to have a full sized spare. Unfortunately it won't fit in the hole for the donut. So the donut is still there. You will be very pleased with the 18s. It will be a great improvement in the ride and the the cost of tires will be much better. Plus you will be able to find tires anywhere. Not just the "Custom Wheels and Tires" shops.
Good luck, and Enjoy your ride!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
Thanks Zippy!
Bizzy, mine came the same way, 22s and just a donut. I actually drive with the donut for 6 months till I could afford the 18s. Now I have 5 of the 18s with tires. I had to have a full sized spare. Unfortunately it won't fit in the hole for the donut. So the donut is still there. You will be very pleased with the 18s. It will be a great improvement in the ride and the the cost of tires will be much better. Plus you will be able to find tires anywhere. Not just the "Custom Wheels and Tires" shops.
Good luck, and Enjoy your ride!
Thanks guys. I am looking forward to this upgrade or "downgrade" whatever you want to call it.