Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ATTENTION: 06 LS4's

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM

i only enable dod when i take the car in for warranty stuff. you dont need a tune to disable dod. there was a guy on tech with a gp gxp who disabled it and had it on a toggle switch. didnt look overly hard to do.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Regardless, I am not too worried about it. Not every car has had a problem, and if I have made it this far, I am not worried about it.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
i only enable dod when i take the car in for warranty stuff. you dont need a tune to disable dod. there was a guy on tech with a gp gxp who disabled it and had it on a toggle switch. didnt look overly hard to do.
can you lead me in the right direction? is that what you have done?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LuSe4
Regardless, I am not too worried about it. Not every car has had a problem, and if I have made it this far, I am not worried about it.
Bro... I'm not trying to be a pesimist; i was just being real with the forum. Hopefully you won't have the problem, especially at 6k miles. But at least you know what's wrong if you do. as for me, i intend to keep my car; so if there's a problem with the dod, i want it fixed so my rings don't end up in the same condition.... By the way, good lookin' car! (Mine is the same color)! Did you upgrade the brakes, or just paint the calipers? If ya upgraded, what did you go to and how is the performance compared to stock? i got 70k on my original brakes, with 40% left! (lots of highway driving)...

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 06LS4
Bro... I'm not trying to be a pesimist; i was just being real with the forum. Hopefully you won't have the problem, especially at 6k miles. But at least you know what's wrong if you do. as for me, i intend to keep my car; so if there's a problem with the dod, i want it fixed so my rings don't end up in the same condition.... By the way, good lookin' car! (Mine is the same color)! Did you upgrade the brakes, or just paint the calipers? If ya upgraded, what did you go to and how is the performance compared to stock? i got 70k on my original brakes, with 40% left! (lots of highway driving)...
Just so that you know, there are tons of cars out there with DOD that have high miles and have never had this problem. Sucks that it happened to you, but it doesn't happen to them all. COuld it happen to mine? Maybe. I am just not that concerned that it will.

6k miles? I have over 40k on mine and it has been an incredibly reliable car. (Maybe you are talking about Mels SS at 6k? Although that seems high for Mel!:p) The only thing I have had to do to mine is replace a bad tpms sensor. Original tires and original brakes also. I love this car!!

Anyways, my calipers are original. I bought that duplicolor brush on ceramic paint made for calipers. It layed nice and flat once dried and really "glossed up". It is also very durable. It has been on for almost two years and still looks as good as the day I put it on.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

True way to high 3100 miles on the clock.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by LuSe4
Yeah, oil consumption is a well known problem for LS4's. Sucks you are having the same issue.

I am at just over 6000 miles on Mobil 1, and I haven't lost even half of a quart, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones.
ohhhh I see... you have 6k on the oil change. (i thought you only had 6000 miles on the car). I love my SS also. Its the 5th one i've owned.... (2002 SS, 2003 SS, 2004 SS, 2005 SS... and last but not least, 2006 SS). Total'd every last one of 'em, except the 2006; trying to hold on to it this time. ive been running mobil one since it was brand new with 4 miles on it. i've never went much over 3000 miles on an oil change. was running 5w30 all year; now in the winter i switch to 0w30... (Manual says its good in colder climates)....

Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM

N00B SAIB0T

Geez this is bad news, i just picked up my monte,i better keep an eye on the oil level now that u mentioned it.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Crap... I just started having this problem... Today...

Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Okay... So pretty much from what I've read, I have decided that the main failure is the piston rings. Right? If I were to replace my piston rings with new ones, would that temporarily solve the problem? If so... What the heck size piston rings do I get? I can't find that info or a part number anywhere... I have found the bore to be 96mm/3.78in. The only rings that I have seen are for "oversize" 4" bores.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION: 06 LS4's