Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   ATTENTION: 06 LS4's (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/attention-06-ls4s-26004/)

06LS4 02-11-2011 10:14 AM

ATTENTION: 06 LS4's

Just took my car to the shop yesterday to have an oil cooler line, as well as a trans cooler line repaired. I also notified them of oil consumption, 1 3/4 - 2 quarts per 2k. After contacting GM, dealership informed me that GM is aware of the consumption issue, and that they are in the process of addressing it; the "fix/parts" are being produced. They documented the issue and advised me that I will be notified when the new "fix/parts" are avaliable, even if i'm out of warranty, (due to documentation while under warranty)... They said it shound be 3-5 months? I have no idea what parts they are talking about; perhaps there is an issue with the rings and seals?

LuSe4 02-11-2011 01:10 PM

Yeah, oil consumption is a well known problem for LS4's. Sucks you are having the same issue.

I am at just over 6000 miles on Mobil 1, and I haven't lost even half of a quart, so I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

RickAKATed10 02-11-2011 02:49 PM

I usually go through a quart.

ChibiBlackSheep 02-11-2011 03:28 PM

My parents' have been lucky about this problem so far.

working on a fix? Think they are going to do a recall or something this year?

RickAKATed10 02-11-2011 03:33 PM

It would be nice. It would be even nicer if they recalled the LS4 transmissions entirely too.

KJRich 02-11-2011 03:39 PM

I'd be surprised if they did a recall. For example, every 3.4 I've owned or been around has had the intake gasket failure issue which is well known to GM and they never did anything about that.

xxtheshockerxx 02-11-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich (Post 295648)
I'd be surprised if they did a recall. For example, every 3.4 I've owned or been around has had the intake gasket failure issue which is well known to GM and they never did anything about that.

same here idk why they never did do anything about it

LuSe4 02-11-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich (Post 295648)

Dexcool was to blame for this, right?

KJRich 02-11-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by LuSe4 (Post 295665)
Dexcool was to blame for this, right?

I couldn't tell you what was to blame, but a lot of people say Dexcool is the reason. I contacted GM about it once and the best they would do was a rebate of $1000 (or slightly less, I don't remember) on the purchase of a brand new GM vehicle. I fixed it for less than half of that, since I wasn't ready to start over with 5 more years of payments.

06LS4 02-11-2011 06:20 PM

Unfortunately, you're NOT one of the lucky ones... The problem is with ALL of the LS4's; it a design flaw. (Otherwise, why would they be placing a new addition inside our motors to keep the DOD/AFM from blowing our rings/seals)? They have to place some type of deflector to keep oil pressure from blowing out the rings/seals. The fix is new pistons, rings, seals, and deflectors. Look at this link for the TSB. I also have the same one in my posession and it came from the dealer. My work is already scheduled. If you're "lucky", you'll have the problem while you're under warranty; otherwise, you're SOL... (This is NOT, nor will there ever be, a recall)....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-fr...step-here.html

NOTE: Just realized there's a whole page missing on this TSB... It informs dealer to replace pistons, ring, and seals... Also mentions the deflector and authorizes the replacement of pistons, rings, and seals immediately under certain circumstances... then adding deflectors after they become avaliable... I have no idea how to post it?