Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

again, another problem. related possibly to other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's the passlock shutting down the starter, then it won't click or anything. Also, all of the powered accessories like the dash and radio will come on, and won't be dimmed at all.

If your dash is dimming and the starter just clicks when you try to turn it over, then it sounds like you got a dead battery.

How old is your battery?
Also, if the battery isn't bad then it might not be charging while you drive.
That could be a bad connection, or a bad alternator.

Keep us posted.

-Riggs.

PS. Dustybird3 - What I meant by setting the parking brake is this -

The DRL's (or automatic light sensors) cause your headlights to come on when you turn the key to the 'on position, right?
It might not be a good idea to leave your headlights on for extended periods of time, but if you set the parking brake before you put the key in the ignition, then the headlights won't automatically come on.
It isn't a part of the security relearn, but if your headlights come on when you turn the key to on, then you can stop the headlights from coming on by setting the parking brake. That way you aren't putting any more strain on the battery than you absolutely have to.

It's better for the transmission if you always set the parking brake when you park the car anyways, since the weight of the car is then being held by the brakes instead of by the transmission. So, now I am in the habit of setting the parking brake every time I shut off my car.

-Riggs.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

when doing the passlock, I was able to hear beeps and clicks coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. I was cleaning out my glove compartment when I was doing this, so, thats why I say passenger. I have an audio file i took of it on my phone if you guys would like to hear it. After I turned it on from On/off/on, ect... I tried it again for the fourth time to start and got nothing. I turned the key, no lights came on, and it was like the battery was disconnected. it could be with the amazingly cold weather plus the passlock reset that could have killed my battery, but I plan on making the drive from fargo to wisconsin tomorrow to get it looked at via dealership on monday. Ill keep you posted on what we find out.

Also, earlier today to get it started, we had jumped it. I tried starting the car, with no avail, had a friend pull over his malibu and hook up cables. After a minute or so, we tried it, and it turned over once and "blacked out" with a security warning. we waited a few more minutes, tried it again, and after 3 or 4 turn overs blacked out again. we waited about 5 more minutes, tried it again and it started VERY slowly. The car hadnt ran in a few days (plus its been cold). We drove the car around till it was at normal tempature, about 30 minutes of driving around town and making some erraned stops and when we came back to the parking lot and turned off the car, we thought we'd try to start it again. After the car had shut off, we put the key back in and got the same "blackout" it did before we jumped. At this point I came back and tried the passlock sequence, to no avail.

I know its hard to explain, im doing my best to be descriptive!

Tommypro : I appreciate the offer, but I ended up transferring schools further north now, im in Fargo/Moorhead. :-(

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM

oh wow... i'm sorry! (for the Fargo thing more than the car!)

when you had your lights (and parking lights) turned on and ran the radio, did they dim over time or stay strong the whole time?

sounds to me like one of a couple of things is possible:

1) starter shot. it may be able to do no more than "click" if it is either locked up or completely shot. if it will not turn over the car, it may need replacing. would be my top guess were it not for the jump start... the only thing i can say here is that the added power (two batteries driving the starter motor instead of one) was able to push it through...

2) battery shot. it may not be able to retain the power to turn over the engine on its own any more. if this is the case, the options that retain power even when the car is off can run it down far enough (in the cold) to trip the security warning (as the PassLock would get reset without power and would relearn, from the computer, when power was restored). possible it could simply be frozen up... (riggs, x2... only thing, wouldn't be the alternator if you were able to drive it around once you started it... the battery would run down while you drive and the car would kill {b/c the battery feeds the spark plugs})

3) some other issue that i am not awake enough to think of right now... this is a cop-out b/c of my 3 hours of sleep last night! the jist of this option is that it is not really sounding like a PassLock issue to me any more. my understanding of the PL is that it stops the fuel pump from pumping fuel more than locking up the starter... could be my misunderstanding, though!

good luck w/ the issue... but why drive from fargo to wisc. to visit a stealership, though? fargo, moorhead, brookings, sioux falls, minneapolis, st. paul... all kinds of dealerships there and all are closer...

Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tommypro
why drive from fargo to wisc. to visit a stealership, though? fargo, moorhead, brookings, sioux falls, minneapolis, st. paul... all kinds of dealerships there and all are closer...

Parents will pay for the cost as long as I get it back to the Town dealer. thats a few hundred I can spend elsewhere, and thats worth the drive.

The car drove fine when it was running before... I can make it back on 1 tank of gas, and plan on doing so. haha

Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Originally Posted by vita
when doing the passlock, I was able to hear beeps and clicks coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. I was cleaning out my glove compartment when I was doing this, so, thats why I say passenger.
BCM(?) maybe instead of Passlock. Isn't it located on the pass side and makes clicks when going out? That's what I've heard anyway.

"Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's the passlock shutting down the starter, then it won't click or anything. Also, all of the powered accessories like the dash and radio will come on, and won't be dimmed at all."

Correct.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 AM

well, i cleaned and charged the battery on saturday and let the car sit till monday.

Monday; We pushed the car out to get it jumped, we tried starting it and with some hesitation it turned over and didnt give me much problems ( no security light/couple tries to get it to get the starter to catch)?! so, confused, we brought it to the mechanics, and they replaced the ACV (air control valve). they told me to drive it around and bring it back if it doesnt fix it. They had the car start fine for them with no security problems.

Tuesday, it acts up again. They scanned it when it was idling at 2k rpms and the computer showed nothing wrong. A mechanic pulls out the TPS and the car instantly drops to 800 rpms (normal) idle. the TPS (throttle Positioning Sensor) got replaced so If that doesnt work, they told me while at high idle bring it back (no matter if I have an appointment or not) and they will put more parts in. Plus, they will only charge me for the parts that fix it!

Since Monday NO security problems... maybe battery related?

Last edited by vita; 03-18-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Originally Posted by vita
Plus, they will only charge me for the parts that fix it!
Wish they were all like that.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by dustybird3
Wish they were all like that.
x2 ...

now i see why you decided to road-trip it!