New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

fuel pump possibly relay problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Default fuel pump possibly relay problem

2000 Monte Carlo 3.8 : I really need some help-here's the scenario. Car ran fine, never any problems and my Mother ran the car into some small trees/bushes etc which made an impact and jarred the front passenger side just a little. When the car was pulled out it was caught on some limbs underneath passenger side which pulled the fender away some. The car will turn over just fine and very strong but will not start. There is a buzzing/clicking noise coming from where the fuse/relay panel is under hood on passenger side by battery (which is where fuel relay is). It will make that noise for a couple of minutes then stop but if you try to crank it again it starts back. I have listened for the fuel pump to run(prime) when key is turned on and cannot hear anything. I am assuming that something has shut off the fuel pump. I was told these cars do not have a fuel shut off reset switch. I do not see anything (wires) loose or pulled out from the accident. I have removed battery cables to reset but it still does the same thing. I feel this could be very simple and I am hoping that the expertise here will get my Mom going again. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM

You need to check and see if you have power at the fuel pump. Stranger things have happened but the accident may be just a coincidence that the fuel pump decided to call it quits at the same time. If you have power to the pump then you have a bad pump. Welcome to the MCF.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks so much for the reply. I was able to go after work and we did check all the fuses. There was one relay that was bad (it was not the large relay for fuel pump but the secondary fuel relay) because we jumped it/straight wired it and turned the car over and it did try and crank so as immediately went and purchased that fuse and installed it but then still no fuel. I am assuming that thefuel left in the rails/ lines caused that. So still no noise from fuel pump when u turn key on about the coincidence of the fuel pump.calling it quits...I was hoping not to hear that but I do know it is a great possibility. One last thing. The check engine light was on so I hooked up my scanner and I got 3 codes. P0114 P0118 which are both circuit A secondary air failure. (Not exact description )I and 3rdI code was P0443 which was something like fuel vapor emissions something that I don't think would affect this problem. I just wanted to throw that out there as one last attempt to make sure noone thinks those codes could have anything to do with this problem. I guess it will be off to the shop and hope they don't play a guessing game like I feel like I am. So frustrated because my Mother is stranded and I really am trying to help but its hard without lots of money. Thanks so very much!!! Misty.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Also...easiest way to check for power at fuel pump? Please and thank you. My brain is on electronic overload right now.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The P0118 code indicates the possibility of a no-start situation and P114 can cause hard starting.

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

OBD II Code P0114 : RepairPal

It will be time consuming, but I'd start checking connectors to insure one hasn't pulled off or is loose/dirty.

The P0443 code won't prevent the vehicle from starting, but can cause rough running.

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 AM

Wow! Thanks, my wow is because the tow truck just picked it up...LOL This is great and very appreciated info though. I am going to forward this to my mechanic since I cleared the codes out and this may just save me some money. I cannot thank you enough for your reply. I honestly believe this is the problem. I have been saying I believe something is just loose or disconnected but I didn't know where all to check. Thanks again and I will update the solution. I love this forum ( great info)-wish I would have known about it sooner!!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, please let us know if you get the problem resolved and the cause. It may help others in the future with the same problem. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM

Mechanic will not be back until Tuesday-Most definitely will give an update then. Thanks again!!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 AM

I wanted to thank everyone for the replies and trying to help. The mechanics first thought before looking at it was the crank sensor being knocked loose by the harmonic balancer...however it was the wires going to the main fuse panel behind the front fender. Something had pulled the wires loose which was making several different relays have no power. I was really stumped by the symptoms and wanted to share the status. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Default won't start

I have a monte 04 and had it for three years with no problem. All of a sudden it stars acting up, all the lights are on, it makes a buzzing sound when I drive and now it starts only when I hit the relay some o e help please...