Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

again, another problem. related possibly to other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default again, another problem. related possibly to other?

Hey guys, well, it did the security problem again. I turn the key, nothing happens. I put the key in, turned it to the "on" position, waited a minute or two for the security light to pop on and then turned on my running lights to save battery. it sat for about 12 minutes then when I tried to start it, just blinked rapidly 8(ish) times at me then went back to doing nothing.

Am I doing the sequence wrong?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 AM

are you attempting the security relearn procedure?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 AM

yep.

based upon that response, im forgetting something.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by vita
I put the key in, turned it to the "on" position, waited a minute or two for the security light to pop on and then turned on my running lights to save battery.
I have never tried the relearn procedure, as I didn't know about it and my car was under warranty when I had this issue a couple of years ago.

Anyways, I think you mean that a couple of minutes after you turn the key to 'on', you switched your headlight switch from the off position (in which case they would be on because of the drl's), to the parking lights so you didn't drain your battery?

I don't know that pulling the headlight switch would affect anything during the security relearn, but I wanted to throw this out there:

If you put the parking brake on, then your headlights won't automatically come on when you turn the key to the 'on' position.

That way you don't have to pull the headlight switch at all, just to rule out that pulling the headlight switch caused the PCM to stop the relearn procedure.
The DRL's will come on when you disengage the parking brake though.

Good luck with the relearn. The security system can be incredibly frustrating.
-Riggs.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I just left mine turned to "on" and listened to the radio for 10 minutes until it quit flashing, turn the key off, then start. I never did anything with lights, brakes, doors anything else like that. You have to wait the full ten minutes. Mine would flash like this: battery, security, security, battery, security, security, battery.....after ten minutes it would go to battery, security, battery, security and would start at that point.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:04 PM

well, i tried the official way. Heres what I did;

Acc on (12 minutes)
off (1 minute)
Acc on (13ish Minutes)
off (1 minute)
Acc on (14 Minutes till it stopped clicking and beeping at me)
off ( 1 minute)

I tried, and nothing. I can hear lots of faint clicking, but no life in the car. No dash lights pop on, no nothing but the faint few clicks. Possibly needing a jump or am I replacing a part in the dorm parking lot.... ?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

don't you have to go all the way to ON, not ACC

Old 03-12-2009, 04:25 PM

d*mn it!

*edit*

after re-evaluating the situation, im 90% sure I went to the "on" position. I heard many clicks and beeps happening during the 2nd and mainly the 3rd volley of me doing the passlock sequence. Im guessing that it wouldnt have made those noises unless i was doing to correct... correct? :S

Last edited by vita; 03-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

hmm, clicks and beeps? May not be your passlock then. I had radio, lights, all that stuuf but when you turn the key to start - NOTHING, no clicks, no beeps, nothing.
If it is the passlock, you need to leave it turned to "on" not "acc".

Old 03-12-2009, 04:45 PM

you actually have to go all the way to the "Start" position even though nothing will happen and the whole cabin will go completely dark (a very creepy feeling when you love your car).

once you release the key to the "On" position (carefully so as not to allow the spring to kick it back into "Acc"), you leave it sit for approximately 10 minutes (until the "Security" light stops flashing in rotation with the battery icon so that the battery icon is all that flashes). at this point you must turn the ignition to off, leaving the key in the cylinder, and kill the R.A.P. (if equipped) by opening the door. close the door and start over by turning to "Start". after doing this three times (approximately 30-33 minutes elapsed time), you SHOULD be able to start the car with the fourth attempt...

NOTE: every time i did this, i did it with the accessories all OFF for the entire duration, a) b/c it is hard on them when you don't shut them off while attempting to start the car and b) b/c i didn't (and still don't) know whether they could affect the procedure. as for the lights, if you set your park brake they will not come on when you turn the ignition. with the park brake set, the daylight sensor will not activate the headlights and they will remain off until you release the park brake and put the car in gear.
my recommendation for you to do this is that you roll your window down to where you can reach the ignition from outside the car and do the steps standing outside your door and run inside the house while waiting for the 10 minutes to elapse. i wouldn't worry too much about ppl stealing your car since it is a dead stick and since you live in such a small town!
if you want some help with this, i can drive up there and assist (for gas money only)...

Quick Reply: again, another problem. related possibly to other?