Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

aftermarket air cleaner on qjet carb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:16 PM
1 Year Member
Default aftermarket air cleaner on qjet carb?

Is this even possible?...I have the OE quadrajet 4bbl carb on my 84...I have the original air cleaner on top, but would like a chrome air cleaner instead...like an Edelbrock or a chrome with bowtie...but the original air cleaner has a vacuum line going in on the underside and a big hose going into the front...if I change to aftermarket air cleaner, what do I do with these hoses...and will it make performance worse?....

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by etvalentin
Is this even possible?...I have the OE quadrajet 4bbl carb on my 84...I have the original air cleaner on top, but would like a chrome air cleaner instead...like an Edelbrock or a chrome with bowtie...but the original air cleaner has a vacuum line going in on the underside and a big hose going into the front...if I change to aftermarket air cleaner, what do I do with these hoses...and will it make performance worse?....
If memory serves correctly,

The larger hose is for the EGR system... Meaning it sucks out the fumes the build up in the engine while its running... (That's the hose that goes to the PCV Valve)... you could easily eliminate that hose merely by using "Breather" type valve covers.

But, for the life of me at the moment I don't exactly remember what the little hose is attached to at the other end (Not the air cleaner side) but where it comes from...
I believe if you could refresh my memory of what the little vacuum line is hooked to I could tell you the fix for it... But I believe you can just plug that line off and you'll be all set for that after market, Edelbrock/Cal Custom Air Cleaner set up!

Be sure to post a pic of your Monte as well as the new air cleaner setup when you get it all instahled!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
If memory serves correctly,

The larger hose is for the EGR system... Meaning it sucks out the fumes the build up in the engine while its running... (That's the hose that goes to the PCV Valve)... you could easily eliminate that hose merely by using "Breather" type valve covers.

But, for the life of me at the moment I don't exactly remember what the little hose is attached to at the other end (Not the air cleaner side) but where it comes from...
I believe if you could refresh my memory of what the little vacuum line is hooked to I could tell you the fix for it... But I believe you can just plug that line off and you'll be all set for that after market, Edelbrock/Cal Custom Air Cleaner set up!

Be sure to post a pic of your Monte as well as the new air cleaner setup when you get it all instahled!

Thanks David...I'm going to post a picture tomorrow of what I'm talking about, but now that I think of it, the air cleaner has 3 hoses going to it...one large one in the back that comes from the passenger side valve cover that I'm sure I can just remove and put a breather in the air cleaner like you mentioned...the other is the small vacuum line that goes underneath the air cleaner, and I've noticed when I cover that with my finger, the idle drops a lot...the other is another large hose that goes into the front of the air cleaner...that one goes into a breather inside the cover just like the big one on the back, but from the air cleaner it goes to some kind of mechanism on the front of the motor under the alternator...I'm not sure what that is, but I'll get a picture up here tomorrow...I'm just wondering if I remove that hose completely if it will do anything wrong...I've had the engine running without the aircleaner attached and the car runs fine without any of these hoses connected, but what about in the long run is what I'm worried about...again, i'll post some pictures tomorrow...thanks again for your help....

Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 PM
1 Year Member
Default pictures

i couldn't wait until tomorrow...here's the pictures...you'll see in on of them is the mechanism that the front hose goes down to...that mechanism is also plugged in...i'm guessing this is smog stuff, but what will removing this hose to?...the small hose goes to a front vacuum port of the carb....

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...lentin/792.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...lentin/794.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...lentin/793.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...ntin/794-1.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...lentin/795.jpg
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...lentin/798.jpg

Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Heres what I think....

Since you have previously said that removeing the air cleaner without any running issues. I would just plug off the smaller vac tubes .. and then run a breather in place of the EGR hose and you should be all set! You could probably eliminate the "Smog Pump" all together!

Im sure someone else may chime in and have further suggestions/ideas for you!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Off hand, I think that advice is correct David. It's been a while since I have messed with a carb-ed engine.
Worst that happens, it doesn't run right and you put it back the way it was.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Off hand, I think that advice is correct David. It's been a while since I have messed with a carb-ed engine.
Worst that happens, it doesn't run right and you put it back the way it was.

Thanks Guys...I'll remove those hoses and drive it around today...if I have no problems, I'll invest in the aftermarket air cleaner....