Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

AC compressor not engaging intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Someone with a 06/07 Monte will have to answer your question about the temp display.

So you now have the temp sensor installed.
- Are you still getting a warning about ice due to low temps?
- How long has the car been running with the sensor? I am wondering if it needs some time to "refresh" the reading.
- Any change with the AC? Is that functioning?
- The connector you plugged that sensor into, does it have a Yellow wire and a wire that is Light Green/Black?

If the wires are correct and you are still not getting a temp reading, you may need to check continuity on the wires for the connector. I wonder if there might be a break somewhere.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

@The_Maniac thanks for your reply I am confident that its the correct connector I will enclose a pic of it. I did drive the car today several miles and no change although AC works fine. The AC has been working for over 2 weeks. As for the DIC I looked online and determined it is in the main instrument cluster for my year but the alignment of the odometer is off to the left side when the temp and compass are showing. I am starting to wonder if I would need a different instrument cluster to see temp? It would be great if someone with a 2006/7 could let me know... so far all I know is that the LS doesn't come with either the temp or the compass (only the LT and SS do).

Anyone out there with an LS 2006/7 monte who upgraded it to see temp and or compass how did you do so? please let me know

Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
On the 06/07 Monte, I have no idea what it takes to add the compass. As I mentioned the DIC in 00-05 is different than the 06-07.

As for the "instant update" feature, if you are missing that temp sensor, the instant update won't be able to provide you any different information, as it has no sensor to get it from.

Very curious to hear what your update is once you can install the new sensor.
So far my AC still works and no indication of temp on the DIC I am just hoping the issues doesn't return but at this point it hasn't returned for a solid month I assume the PCM was receiving some signal not sure from where but if related to OAT sensor lead its in place now. I also considered that having an open connector hanging out in the wet weather may have caused the issue and putting the sensor in was effectively putting in a $10 plug. That is my latest theory anyway. But so far AC still working and no temp ever displayed. I assume I would need to change the instrument cluster to have it display temp. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:34 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

one year later and my AC still works great the OAT temp sensor seems like the culprit after all since I no longer get the ice warning in the warm weather. However! last winter when it was below 32 I did get an ice warning which I never got (accurately) before. Therefore this OAT sensor is working correctly and is tied to the AC which I still find strange.

Last edited by Monte#3; 06-06-2019 at 11:37 PM.