Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Mystery connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:12 PM
Default Mystery connector

I have a 01 MC ls 3.4l Today I noticed a two wire plug in connector thats not plugged into anything, and its bugging me as to whats its purpose. Its right in front of the a/c condenser towards the top middle exiting the harness that goes from side to side. I dont see anything to plug it into anywhere that it would reach. Looks a lot like the plug that plugs into a/c compressor clutch, but its not.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM

Any luck figuring this out? I just bought a 2000 LS for parts and can take a look. Unfortunately, it's at the farm and I'm stuck in town working until tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That connector is for the ambient outside temperature sensor. It is only used by the driver information center to tell the driver what the outside temp is. If you don't have a driver information center that connector just dangles there.
If you don't have a driver information center and want one, it can be added to the car pretty easily.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:15 AM

I have a related question... My AC is occasionally blinking 3Xs and compressor won't turn on DIC says ice on the road drive with caution except its 85 degrees out. After researching I was told it was related to this ambient air temp sensor except like this post states I have the connector but no sensor I am stumped. AC blows cold after time passes, tried to ad freon didn't seem to have any effect. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this... new here any help appreciated

Old 06-23-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Monte#3
I have a related question... My AC is occasionally blinking 3Xs and compressor won't turn on DIC says ice on the road drive with caution except its 85 degrees out. After researching I was told it was related to this ambient air temp sensor except like this post states I have the connector but no sensor I am stumped. AC blows cold after time passes, tried to ad freon didn't seem to have any effect. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this... new here any help appreciated
Exactly correct. This sensor went out on my Grand Prix, which had automatic climate control, and thus ended the A/C in the car (putting it on manual wouldn't even make the compressor cut on). I live in Florida. This was not fun.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:41 PM

my monte is a 2007 ls what year was your grand prix? I assume yours shows you the temp on the DIC? The strange thing about mine is that I don't even have this sensor its just the cable hanging in the breeze. Now I am stumped since how can a senor cause a problem if its not there? So I am lost... thus joined this forum hoping someone could help me figure it out. This thread seems old and I am new so can't start a new thread. Not really sure how this site works yet but hoping to find an answer soon. Having no AC in summer is not fun in any state especially in FL! Although I am glad mine did not go out when I was still in AZ!

Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 PM

10 Year Member

@Monte#3 - It would be best to start a new thread with the details of your car and issue.
I know the 2000-2005 Monte has an ambient temp sensor in front of the radiator that only provides temp data for the DIC (has nothing to do with the AC system or engine performance, if the car did not come with a DIC, this connector is there but without the sensor).
I am not sure how the temp system in the 06-07 Montes work. I would imagine much the same. If you know for sure where the sensor should be and it's missing, this would explain the DIC giving the winter warning in 85 degree weather. I doubt the temp info for the DIC has anything to do with the AC system (but that is a guess without researching it).

Old 06-25-2018, 12:14 AM

@The_Maniac thanks for your reply and info I would love to start a new thread but wasn't able to so far being a brand new member I guess I need to be on here 5 days first. I will try that soon... Its a real mystery to me since I do in fact have a DIC lots of info comes through it but no temp I have done some research and lots of people seem to have the same exact symptoms that I have and after they changed the sensor (that doesn't exist on my monte) poof! fixed! Thus I am at a loss... Stranger still I hooked up OBDII computer and it gave me ambient temp reading so maybe its hiding somewhere else? But every parts list from every website I have been to points to that same location near the radiator support with the colors I see from the hanging plug. There seems to be a TSB on this also. Today I drove the car 85 miles with the AC going strong thankfully but who knows the next time it will tell me there is ice on the road and the AC light blinks 3Xs again (no compressor). I will definitely look into starting a new thread. Thanks again

Old 06-25-2018, 12:16 AM

PS I ordered the sensor wondering what will happen once I connect it... assume i will get temp in the DIC if so I wish I knew that a long time ago for $10 if not maybe it does nothing... we'll see

Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 PM

10 Year Member

Being a new member, you can post new threads in most sections. You cannot post in the classifieds until you are a full member. You should be able to post in the Monte Carlo Repair Help section. But if you attempted to post in the FWD/RWD Tech Info sections, you cannot post in those ever. They are intended for write ups/how to info. When someone wants to contribute, the staff here is happy to move appropriate threads into that section.

As for the ambient temp you got off the OBDII scanner, odds are that is the ambient air temp of the air coming into the engine. This is different then the temp sensor for the DIC.
I found and attached some helpful shop data information. Here's a quote I found particularly informative:
If the HVAC control module has determined that the ambient temperature sensor has failed the DIC will display 86°C (186°F) if shorted to ground and -40°C (-40°F) if open or shorted to voltage.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Mystery connector