Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): ABS and "Service Traction Control Surface" lights won't go out

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ABS and "Service Traction Control Surface" lights won't go out

I had a rear passenger side strut put on 6 days ago. The ABS light has still yet to go out, along with the message center "Service Traction Control Surface" on start up and shut down of the car. This is a '04 SS Intimidator, and the sound from the back has steadily gotten worse as each day passes.

I understand that the brake caliper has to be moved out of the way during the strut installation procedure (according to a Haynes manual), and I'm wondering if the caliper wasn't reinstalled correctly. They did tell me that the rear brake pads will need replaced in about three (3) months. But I didn't have these issues before installation (the noise almost sounds like a loose or missing tailpipe hanger, but I checked them and they are good).

I have had brakes and rotors put on before without any dashboard lights or messages coming on. So this sounds a lot like a brake issue to me, as the one time a couple years ago I did get the ABS lights stuck on with the traction message and the traction switch not working,,, was when I got stuck on a snowy back road/hill. The tires kept spinning and I kept sliding back down the hill, trying to crawl back up it, and something got overheated. But the lights went out and my traction switch worked again after it cooled down.

I'll give them that the rear brake pads might cause the lights to come on, but why now after installation of the strut and not before? And what's up with the noise, as you can feel the firmness in the suspension from the new strut, but the clanking sounds worse than the old broken strut?