Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): ABS EGR and ECM issues: HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 AM
1 Year Member
Default ABS EGR and ECM issues: HELP!!

Hello everyone, I just took a dreaded trip to the dealer for the common issue of ABS light/ no trac light on dashboard. Found out a few things, I have the following codes:
C1218: ABS Module and control unit bad: dealer estimate to fix: $2,818.32

Codes P0446, P1635, P1639: EGR Valve needs replaced and ECM needs replaced: DEALER ESTIMATE TO FIX: $1,580.00

Has anyone replaced their ABS module and pump, is it that hard of a job, and is it safe to buy used parts on this one. Also has anyone replaced their EGR valve and ECM? Whats the difference between ECM and PCM under the air filter? Do I have to have ECM reprogrammed once installed? Any insight to these questions would be greatly appreciated because I want to keep my Monte but dont have 5 grand to dump on her right now, if i can fix myself a lot cheaper I will , THANKS!!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The ECM is the PCM. You may need to do a case relearn - now is a time to consider upgrading to a tuned PCM.

The ABS is just one box (at least on my '96 it was), doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to do.

For those prices, they owe you......favors to say the least. PCM = $150, ABS module maybe $300, EGR is probably around $200... I'd definitely take my car back and tell them to kick rocks. The No Traction light on the dash could be a wheel bearing going out too, just an FYI.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 03_MONTE SS
Hello everyone, I just took a dreaded trip to the dealer for the common issue of ABS light/ no trac light on dashboard. Found out a few things, I have the following codes:
C1218: ABS Module and control unit bad: dealer estimate to fix: $2,818.32
C1218 is a definite internal problem... no other codes in this area can cause this. So all wheel sensors and wiring to this unit are NOT at fault here. The traction control is also a internal part of this module for your car.(rockauto ACDELCO Part # 18078143 $524.00)
Codes P0446 This is a evap. code: most likely the fuel vent valve
P1635, 5 Volt Reference Circuit, possible causes
- A/C Pressure sensor harness is open or shorted
- MAP sensor harness is open or shorted
- EGR valve harness is open or shorted

P1639:PCM 5 Volt Reference Voltage Circuit, possible causes:
- Sensor using 5 volt reference line shorted to ground
- Circuit short to ground

EGR Valve needs replaced (most likely... could just be a short or broken connector)(rockauto ACDELCO Part # 2142274 $160.00) and ECM needs replaced: (ONLY IF THE PIN/PINS FOR THE 5V REFERENCE/OUTPUT ARE ACTUALLY DEAD) DEALER ESTIMATE TO FIX: $1,580.00

Has anyone replaced their ABS module and pump, is it that hard of a job, and is it safe to buy used parts on this one. Also has anyone replaced their EGR valve and ECM? Whats the difference between ECM and PCM under the air filter? Do I have to have ECM reprogrammed once installed? Any insight to these questions would be greatly appreciated because I want to keep my Monte but dont have 5 grand to dump on her right now, if i can fix myself a lot cheaper I will , THANKS!!

You ask is it hard, how experienced are you. I would say get a garage that is equipped to do the ABS... as if something goes wrong it is on them and besides if the system requires bleeding then they can command the pump with their scanner. The vent valve and the EGR you can easily do and the short may just be in the EGR valve (99% of the time that is where it is) be sure to check the fuse also if your car has one, I have not looked it up to see.

PS. Here is a discount code for RockAuto (it says we can share)1915208516740481

Last edited by Ill_Born_ss; 12-05-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ill_Born_ss
You ask is it hard, how experienced are you. I would say get a garage that is equipped to do the ABS... as if something goes wrong it is on them and besides if the system requires bleeding then they can command the pump with their scanner. The vent valve and the EGR you can easily do and the short may just be in the EGR valve (99% of the time that is where it is) be sure to check the fuse also if your car has one, I have not looked it up to see.

PS. Here is a discount code for RockAuto (it says we can share)1915208516740481
Thanks a million FOR THE INFORMATION/ DISCOUNT CODE!!!
One more question, does my 2003 monte have a ecm or pcm, like can i just buy the tuned pcm off ZZP performance for 180 or is that different then a ECM?
Also my dealer claims BOTH the abs module AND pump are bad, does rock auto have the pump or where could I get one, thanks again!!

Old 12-07-2014, 11:21 AM

It has both ECM and PCM. Never used one of their units, maybe others can assist... Will at overkill performance may help you decide, drop him a email.
Your car has a DBC7 antilock brake system with traction control (NW9) option. The unit/units you are looking for are EBCM and BPMV
the EBCM I already gave you a part # for from rockauto
the BPMV (brake pressure modulator valve) I do not have a specific part # for but if you call any GM dealer with your VIN they can give you the part# for OEM and AC delco then you can search for your specific unit: Brake pressure modulator valve: Research Calibex - Seller Reviews, Ratings

Old 12-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

yes you can buy the pcm from either ZZP or Will @overkill (he tuned mine and I love it) the dealer is a little expensive and you can get all that work done a LOT cheaper. The EGR valve is honestly one or two bolts and you can re use the gasket if it's in good shape, I think I picked a used one up at the wreckers for $20 in the spring and it was on and running in under 3 minutes. I would also look into a used ABS control unit, most wreckers offer a 30 - 90 day exchange policy if what they sell you doesn't work so it is definitely worth looking in to and will be again a LOT cheaper. My money would be on you needing new wheel bearings causing the traction light to come on, you can pick up a set of TIMKEN bearings on Ebay fairly cheap and change them yourself and it wouldn't hurt to replace them on your car regardless as they will go eventually so consider it preventive maintenance.