Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Tie Rods/Electrical issues with ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
1 Year Member
Default Tie Rods/Electrical issues with ABS

So I put my car onto a lift about a month ago(I havent been able to touch it here in minnesota with 30-50 below weather), I moved the wheels left and right as they were free to move, as i did so i kept an eye on the tie rods. The tie rods joint that met the wheel was stationary, but the one under the boot moved. Ive heard of a way to test the tie rods by disco. the end meeting the bearing (wheel) and checking for sloppiness(freeplay etc) I have the tie rods sitting in my trunk, just waiting to be put on. Im getting sick of constantly making adjustments as i drive, i need to get these rods on (by the way when i was moving the wheel i had a hand on the tie rod and felt it shift a little) Also im having issues with my abs..it doesnt work. I figured it was the bearing (altho i regret not checking the resistance on the sensor) Turned out after i put on the new bearing it wasnt the bearing, i did test it was a OB2 reader with the ABS option(cost about 280), said the Driver front wheel spd sensor was disco/shorted..So i replaced the bearing and no go, going to try wires next, have the new wire, however i have to splice it (the new wire connects to the bearing speed sensor) and hope it works, I havent tried disco'ing the battery, but wouldnt the system reset after driving for 45 minutes? I thought it did a cycle as u drive to make sure everything is running the way it should.

Duncan