Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

95 Monte 3.1 Just is not sounding good.[Video]

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Default 95 Monte 3.1 Just is not sounding good.[Video]

Hey guys, I'm new and figured maybe someone can watch this and tell me if she' if worth trying to fix. I don't have alot of money and am planning to move with in this month. I need to know if I should cut my losses..

Back story:
My dad bought the car for me last year about this time. It was running on 5 of the cylinders. He supposedly pay some 900+ for someone to fix it. It did run a WHOLE lot better when I got it back. He told me the piston was bent and they had to fix that. When I did get it back, it ran fine, but leaks oil like there is no tomorrow. I mean it will leak 4qt's with in 3-4 days if not less. So I was trying to drive it to work and (you will hear it in the vid when i press the gas) I heard this putter noise from under the hood. I pulled over and it died. It would not start after that. The guy that towed it got it started just by trying to turn the key. I have since had someone look at it. They said one of the plugs was not firing because of bad Coil Packs. He wanted to charge me $400 do install the packs plugs and wires +parts. I did it my self and this is the result. It sounds the same and now i believe it is hitting the top of the motor towards the end of the vid.

video 2011 09 03 11 39 32 - YouTube

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 PM

Self Bumb, I need help.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm sorry to say but I think your looking at replacing or rebuilding that motor , all in all that motor is on its last leg, sounds almost like the 900 spent to fix it may have just been a bandaid that has started to come loose

Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sezotove
Hey guys, I'm new and figured maybe someone can watch this and tell me if she' if worth trying to fix. I don't have alot of money and am planning to move with in this month. I need to know if I should cut my losses..
Well, it depends on how much the Monte is worth to you. If it would run good, it would probably be worth no more then $1500, and since it can't, it isn't even worth $1000.

Back story:
My dad bought the car for me last year about this time. It was running on 5 of the cylinders. He supposedly pay some 900+ for someone to fix it. It did run a WHOLE lot better when I got it back. He told me the piston was bent and they had to fix that.
And how did he fix a bent piston? If the piston was truly bent, then you would have to replace the engine. Otherwise, you would have had to pay a few grand to have the engine pulled and rebuilt. So either the guy was lieing, or you are mistaken on what the original problem was.

When I did get it back, it ran fine, but leaks oil like there is no tomorrow. I mean it will leak 4qt's with in 3-4 days if not less.
Quick question here. Is it a "leak" or does it burn oil? Do you notice a puddle on the ground everytime you park it, or does it blow out blue smoke when you drive it?

So I was trying to drive it to work and (you will hear it in the vid when i press the gas) I heard this putter noise from under the hood. I pulled over and it died. It would not start after that. The guy that towed it got it started just by trying to turn the key. I have since had someone look at it. They said one of the plugs was not firing because of bad Coil Packs. He wanted to charge me $400 do install the packs plugs and wires +parts. I did it my self and this is the result. It sounds the same and now i believe it is hitting the top of the motor towards the end of the vid.

video 2011 09 03 11 39 32 - YouTube

Thanks in advance.
I'm glad you chose to do the work yourself, because $400 is just WAY too much for an easy job as replacing the coils and the plugs. I watched the video and it kinda sounds like a misfire. If I were you, I would recheck the wires and the coils to make sure everything is in the proper order. If the wires are going to the wrong cylinder, that will cause improper firing. If you've already done this, then I would say it's time to get another car (especially if you have no emotional attachment to it).

Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 AM

@Zipper:

The monte is not worth much to me. It was just to commute. I will most likely just junk it and get little to nothing for it :\

As far as how the piston was bent for fixed I have no idea. I took it to a shop and they told me it had no compression. It being bent was just what my dad told me.

It may burn a small amount. But it is defiantly leaking. In front of the hose there is a 2ft wide by about 8ft(length of the car) long black streak from the car leaking it on the road.

I am almost certain that i did it correctly. I followed the placement correctly on the diagram under the hood for the coils, I think it was like 2,6|3,5|1,4 I have no clue atm im not at the car but I did hook the CP's up properly. Now as far as the CP to the plugs I googled the engine and it come up 1,3,5(back) 2,4,6(front) So naturally I matched them up with he corresponding wire running to the CP

Thanks for the advise guys

Old 09-04-2011, 11:02 PM

Like others pointed out already - it's either misfiring or not firing on probably a couple of cylinders. It's kind of hard to tell sometimes when you are right with the car, so trying to tell over the web is even more challenging. I'd probably do a compression test on all cylinders again to rule out something else blown - valve gone through a piston or possibly a head gasket. If you are leaking oil like you say, it's possible that motor has run dry or dry enough to do some damage and it is most likely not worth fixing again honestly.