Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Still no answers here , Anywhere I take the car they want me to leave it with them at a charge or take it back to the people who did the repairs (that's not a option anymore) All this money spent and the car is sitting in my garage now.

Can the fan be easily unplugged to see if that's the culprit ? Fans don't cost much but still going to be a lot for labor . The one part I did not replace could be the trouble , Why would the repair shop not hear this ?
a/c compressor making noise after the engine is off is still a possibility too .

Last edited by sa5150; 07-16-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 PM

The fans are very easy to unplug takes about 2 seconds. As for changing the fan or both fans would take less than 2 hours probably get from a salvage yard for less than $50 . Were you at the repair shop in front of the mechanic when this noise was happening ?

Old 07-16-2018, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks , Yes 3 different repair shops heard the noise and none have any idea other then leave it for the day . Is there a video or picture on how to unplug it . I might as well try and see if it's the fans .

Old 07-17-2018, 05:04 AM

Locate the fans attached to the radiator and unplug the wire's going to the motor. The wires are out in the open,

Old 07-17-2018, 12:03 PM

With the engine shut off it can only be 2 motors the cooling fans or the blower motor fan.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Sounds even more like the fans to me now..
You had it right all along ,It's the fans . noise is gone when the fans don't run . I betcha those idiots at the repair shop did not even check anything and came up with the analysis that's the ac compressor and a alternator pulley . Thing is they should if replaced the fans when they put in the new radiator .

Last edited by sa5150; 07-18-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unfortunately, you have shops that do good work and others who don't. If you must rely on a mechanic (that you are limited in what you can do for yourself), then treat this like a doctor. You want the guy you trust and is a straight shooter. He might not be the cheapest, he might not be the most expensive, but if he is honest and his diagnostics are right almost all the time, he saves you money by being right and saves you aggravation by meeting your expectations.

The fans are easy to replace, no big deal. As for the $50, you paid them for time to do diagnostics. Sadly, does not always mean they are right (go back to my statement comparing the mechanic to a doctor). Just be glad you did NOT have them change that ac compressor!!

Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM

I'm with the Maniac, find a mechanic you can trust. One important thing to remember is let them diagnose the problem, don't hand them the part or say change this because they will and then ask if you want to fix the problem. When I was fixing cars anyone who brought there own parts into our shop would be charged more per hour because of that reason and we would only warranty the labor. So unless the engine fell out or the part was installed wrong it was on you for supplying the parts. Do you bring your own hamburger to McDonald's and ask them to use yours to save money ?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Unfortunately, you have shops that do good work and others who don't. If you must rely on a mechanic (that you are limited in what you can do for yourself), then treat this like a doctor. You want the guy you trust and is a straight shooter. He might not be the cheapest, he might not be the most expensive, but if he is honest and his diagnostics are right almost all the time, he saves you money by being right and saves you aggravation by meeting your expectations.

The fans are easy to replace, no big deal. As for the $50, you paid them for time to do diagnostics. Sadly, does not always mean they are right (go back to my statement comparing the mechanic to a doctor). Just be glad you did NOT have them change that ac compressor!!
Thank you Maniac.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
I'm with the Maniac, find a mechanic you can trust. One important thing to remember is let them diagnose the problem, don't hand them the part or say change this because they will and then ask if you want to fix the problem. When I was fixing cars anyone who brought there own parts into our shop would be charged more per hour because of that reason and we would only warranty the labor. So unless the engine fell out or the part was installed wrong it was on you for supplying the parts. Do you bring your own hamburger to McDonald's and ask them to use yours to save money ?
Well I got the fan assembly for $25 ,(had some gift cards to use ) So what am I suppose to do when I find a shop that is trustworthy ? They probably will want about $160 for the fan assembly then add 2 hours labor so almost $400 . I do not know how to do it on my own plus I don't have space or tools .

Quick Reply: 3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair