Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thank you very much for that , I will print up the pictures . I bought the atp manifold , did it come with the pcv and o-rings ? I do see a cover in the picture on amazon .

That is the part they spent a couple days on . This is common on this engine so I don't know why they took so long on it .
I'll find out more tomorrow .

Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly don't know what comes with the atp kit, but I would assume it would have the o-rings, possibly even an entirely new pcv.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member

I was told today that after they had it up and listened with a stethoscope that it is the ac compressor clutch making the noise and I can wait on the repair but not too long . This means I would need a condenser as well ?
My ac works fine for now and the noise come and goes strangely . This would be another $450-500 . I can't afford that for after just spent 2k on this car . Hopeful it will last till next year .

Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 PM

10 Year Member

If it is the the AC Compressor and Condenser are different parts. If the clutches in the compressor are bad, then you will need a new compressor (most people don't rebuild them) and you will need a freon recharge after the swap.

I am concerned that this began AFTER your recent service. Did this do anything like this prior to that service? If not, you might want to get a second opinion.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member

Before I had all the work done on my car , It never made this kind of noise or any noise for that matter .

Thanks .
I'm getting it back Thursday and Will look for other opinions . Can I rule out that they did not mess up anything and we can part ways ? There knowledge does not seem to be good enough ,I need to find a better repair shop .

Happy 4th !!!

Old 07-04-2018, 11:05 AM

10 Year Member

If the car did not make the noise prior to going in for service and now it does, sounds really suspect something was not done right. And if you don't have a lot of confidence in the knowledge of these mechanics, sounds like you are simply dealing with the wrong guys.

Typically from my experience, if the AC Compressor has clutch problems, turning the AC on/off will give consistent results. I've had compressors make metal scrapping noises when they are not even running.

I believe I mentioned, if you remove the belt and run the car briefly (keep an eye on the temp gauge as the water pump is no longer keeping the engine cool), if you here the noise with NO belt, you can rule out water pump/alternator/AC Compressor/Power Steering and the tensionor/idler pulleys. Therefore if it still makes the noise, perhaps you can narrow it down.

I am still having a feeling it's going to be the o-rings for the PCV valve.

Hopefully a second opinion from a skilled mechanic will help figure this out and give you better direction.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you for all that info .

There is a small chance that the noise was there , I go months without driving this car and it may have been there but I think I would have noticed something that loud .
And there is a AC leak somewhere because they had to recharge the system , Was completely dry blowing out hot air . It works for now.

Well I picked up the Monte Carlo today, It was stuck there for the holiday . Got charged $50 for having them look at it . The receipt says this for what they think is wrong .
"Inspected the vehicle and found that the a/c compressor is making noise and maybe the alternator bearing . Will need to replace the compressor and then re-inspect the vehicle for any other noises or issues "

Maybe ? I have heard of pulley bearing but a alternator bearing , Is that even a part ?

If it indeed is the pcv valve o-rings which was there job to do , They said no it's not the o-rings, So i'm SOL on that part .
There's not much I can do about this other then take the advise and find someone who knows what there talking about . I have no choice but to get it fixed , I'm in way too deep now . I have had the car for 18 years and probably should of sold it a long time ago .

I can just take it to a Chevy dealership but still going to get charged another $100 for that inspection or more , idk !

Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member

Crazy thing happen today , I was out driving in the heat with the a/c , about a 1/2 hour later shut the car off and the screeching kept going . A friend was there and said sounds like the a/c compressor to him . What do you think , Can that rule out stuff that the noise is there for a good 20 seconds after the car has been shut off ?

Old 07-13-2018, 06:28 AM

Sounds even more like the fans to me now..

Old 07-13-2018, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks , I will have to look into that more .

Quick Reply: 3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair