Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Hi All ,
Trying to get some help before going back to the repair shop . I like to know what could be the cause , I have a feeling the shop did not know what they were doing plus I used my own parts and they made me sign a waiver .

It's a 2000 monte carlo SS 3.8 with 143,000 miles on it . I'm listing all the parts I gave them with brand in case it mattered to help with any answers .

They replaced with my parts all brand new .
ATP Intake manifold (looked better then the Dorman)
ATP upper gaskets (came with plus a bunch of other parts were in kit) and Fel-pro lower gaskets
Dorman aluminum elbows (O-rings looked fine)
GMB new water pump / Fel-pro gasket
Sunbelt Radiator
ACDelco RC27 15 P.S.I. Radiator Cap
Dorman radiator reservoir tank
Continental Goodyear upper and lower hoses
Ngk copper V-power spark plugs
Denso wires plus 2 caps that broke when they tried to removed them , (they lied and told me they were old and the 3rd was ok)
Continental Goodyear Elite Ploy-V serpentine belt
Ac Delco 195 degree thermostat
Fuel injector cleaning
2 Anchor strut mounts
Fram air filter
Flushed everything I hope
Recharged the a/c that had just gone out first time in like 10 years . (no leaks so far )
They had trouble with the egr , I think they spent 2 days trying to figure that out .

There is still pressure in the system , I took off the rad cap cold and it still shot out at me .

After I picked up the car and drove it for an hour the engine does run hotter then it did since I bought it new , but it runs in the normal range and car runs really smooth .

Drove it yesterday for 40 miles and all of a sudden when I parked I noticed a screeching coming from the engine and first thing I thought was the belt even though ti's brand new . I can't tell , It's a constant loud screech that does not change in volume and does not get louder when driving . At idle you can hear it clearly with the windows down . It does not sound like a belt .

I read about a tensioner or pulley bearing ? (what should I be charged with all the work that was all ready done if it's one of these issues or something else) ?

Please any advice I would very much appreciate it , I like to go armed with some knowledge to the repair shop .

Thanks
Steve

Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, your AC system does have a leak if you needed to recharge it. Freon does not disappear in the system. For comparison, how often do you recharge freon in your refrigerator (a fridge and AC work very similar to each other).

I don't believe this is related to your problem, by why copper plugs? The factory plugs are platinum. NGK and AC Delco platinum plugs for these cars are pretty much the same (and you can get NGK platinum plugs pretty cheap from RockAuto.com).

Your screeching noise. Any idea where? Like region of the car? If you believe it sounds close to the top, such as near the alternator, it may be a simply item. I never experienced this, but read a few people who have. There is one or two o-rings that need to go with the PCV (which is under the map sensor, which is all on the right side of the upper intake). My guess is that the o-rings were not put in and this is the noise.
Usually if the noise is a pulley, you will hear it change as you rev the engine (which you can rev the engine a little while it's idling).

I hope this provides you some help.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member

Hi , Thanks for the reply . I replaced the ac compressor in think it 2009 , last month I started it while sitting almost all winter and the ac was not blowing cold air , the guy recharged it and added some dye which is suppose to tells us where the leak is . I figured there was a leak but it's so hot here just wanted to get this going . It's holding the charge for now , If I can make it through the summer I would be happy .

The plugs I just was reading from other owners of the same engine to get copper and the v power ngk was pretty good . I had no idea it came with platinum or I would have bought them . Will this effect how the car runs ?

It sounds more like in coming from the middle of the engine , Probably the o-rings , The kit came with a bunch of parts so they may have not of put them all in . 2k in and they did not feel like putting in 2 little rings . I could be so screwed now. They will never admit it and just say I should have bought the parts from them .
I'll go rev the engine again just to see if it changes .

Thanks .

Old 06-17-2018, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member

Runs fine on cold start , no noise at all , I turned the a/c on and then it started to make the noise almost sounding like something is spinning out of control , then when you shut the car off you can still hear something winding down and then stopping . Maybe a fan ? Then fans were not replaced , stock fans on the engine . The noise at first does seem to come from the right upper side of the manifold , but then it might also be coming from the fans . I do not think it's anything from the serpentine belt and pulleys . The alternator does get hot right after cold start pretty fast . It does go to about 195-200 degrees before the fans kick in so I think the coolent issue was solved and no leaking fluids anymore (so far) .

Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 AM

The fans commonly make a terrible screeching sound when they are "going out"..

Ive had it happen 4 times between 2 different cars to me now..

Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by sa5150
The plugs I just was reading from other owners of the same engine to get copper and the v power ngk was pretty good . I had no idea it came with platinum or I would have bought them . Will this effect how the car runs ?
If they're gapped properly, they won't impact how the car runs. The people suggesting them are for modded & boosted 3800s, not NA ones. Just keep in mind they'll not last very long, and just stick in some modern plugs when they do.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

I think the new plugs are the least of my worries for now. Car runs great other then the noise and I won't be driving it in the winter .

No reply back from the repair shop today, I'll call them again tomorrow . If it indeed is the fans that really sucks because they should of said to put new ones with a new radiator and everything that needed to come off do do this job they all ready did .

Fan assembly is between $80 and $140 , Not sure what brand to get , There seems to be a lot from amazon and rock auto . I'm sure the shop will want $200 for the fans and who knows how much for the install .

Last edited by sa5150; 06-19-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member

Talked to them today and they said it's not common for the fans to go out just because we changed all the other parts , So I have to drop it off and see what they come up with .

Since there is some kind of leak in the A/C , Still holding . Could the loud screeching be coming from something other then the fans , Maybe the compressor ? If that is it , would I also need a condenser ?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM

I wouldn't pay them to put fans in, just buy them and install yourself.

As far as the noise, it's nearly impossible to diagnose via description online, you need to be there and hear it in person.

If you want to diagnose yourself, it shouldn't be too hard to narrow down. If you think it's the fans, just pull their relays so they can't run. If you think it's something on the belt drive just pull the belt off. If it goes away, you've narrowed it down significantly. It's just a matter of finding which component it is within.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member

I have not had a chance to get in the repair shop and I don't have tools or space to do anything on my own so I'm stuck .

With the cooler weather the last 2 days The car has me more puzzled now . No noise at start up , after a bit of driving you can hear it a little , So I parked and nothing , Then I revved the engine and the noise started . So I would say not the compressor and maybe not the fans either, May be serpentine belt is loose ? Other then that a pulley bearing is the only other thing I can come up with .

Quick Reply: 3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair