Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 PM

If that's the case, just take it to a shop and let them diagnose and fix it. If you won't be able to fix it anyways, I don't see a benefit to trying to narrow down what it could be.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was trying to get somewhat of an idea here , They could tell me anything they want to , Last place tried to get me for head gaskets and 2.5k in repairs .

Old 06-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

How is the fluid level in the power steering pump? they will talk to you if they are low.
I checked google and found this for a youtube videos check the links
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.pibiB51E1WY

pulley noises
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.2Y54qq735GA

Last edited by drivernumber3; 06-23-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member

Thank you , I will have a look .

Old 06-24-2018, 10:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry it has been a few days. As you said, plugs are not a big concern, I was simply curious about the choice.

As for the noise, I was trying to follow the information but I believe I got lost in it.
So these are shots in the dark. If you have the tools to remove the belt, you can do that and then spin each pulley by hand and see if there is any weird noise or rough spots in the rotation.
You could also run the car for about a minute just idling and little revving in the driveway with no belt (remember, no belt, no water pump to keep the car cool). If you hear the noise without the belt on, you know it's NOT the Alt, power steering, AC compressor or water pump.

I have known on 90's GMs that the AC compressor can develop a metal scraping noise I believe it's a result of problems with the clutches in them). And I already mentioned the PCV valve/o-ring item.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you, I will give it a try .

Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member

Well it's been in the shop since Tuesday , They don't know what it is yet. It's not the fan,pulley bearing or tensioner,ac condenser,fans,belt, alt , none of it .

The noise does not start till the car is been driving for about a 1/2 hour on a 80 degree day . Then it does it with the ac on or off and it is not constant . a loud metal screeching. I would say a pulley bearing but they said it would be a constant noise on all of the above mentioned . So when putting the manifold on did they screw up something and don't want to tell me or they just do not know ? The car runs great , No more leaking anywhere but that noise is unbearable and eventually something will fail . I'm not sure what to do while waiting for them , I'm not sure what they will tell me tomorrow . The noise seems to be coming from the front of the car .

Last edited by sa5150; 06-27-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 PM

10 Year Member

You said the noise happens with and without the AC running. Does the noise happen when you have the car in park and are just idling? Does it change while in park and lightly revving the car?

When the cooling fans activate, the the noise start or stop?

Has anyone removed the belt and spun the pulleys by hand, feeling and listening for rough spots in the rotation of the pulleys? Has anyone checked the engine oil? Does it have metal in it, is it low, is the color unusual?

Can you narrow down a more specific region of the car (the front of the car can cover a lot of territory).

And again, knowing they change the upper intake, I would check where the PCV sits, verify the O-rings are there for it (I'd have to pull the diagram for the install of those rings), as I've heard a couple other people found that to be a root cause to a noise they thought to be an alternator.

At the moment, that is the full list I can suggest without seeing and hearing the car myself in person.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member

The noise comes at anytime in park or idle , comes and goes and it does not change when there fans are on or off . I'm not sure what they have tried to do yet and by the way there talking and not knowing what it is , sounds like something is up with the manifold install . They probably did not know how to do the o-rings . I should have asked more questions before I picked them to do the work and the labor is not guaranteed because they used my parts , They told me it took a long time to figure out the elbows and the egr , Is that where the pcv is or opposite side ?
There are no apparent leaks at the moment . I'll have to see what they say and have them check all this stuff that you mentioned , thanks for all the info , it's very helpful .

Last edited by sa5150; 06-27-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:47 PM

10 Year Member

If this shop has been in business for any length of time, they should be pretty familiar with the elbows and EGR, nothing odd about that.

Anycase, attached are some pictures I found thanks to Google of the 3800 PCV. And here is a write up about it from an Impala site:
2001 Impala How To

Hope this helps. It's very easy to get to.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lupcv.jpg (9.4 KB, 43 views)
PCV.jpg (318.7 KB, 2 views)
techinfopcv.jpg (10.8 KB, 43 views)

Quick Reply: 3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair