Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2K monte almost cranks but doesn't just hear a loud thump from the starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Your crank should be lubed by the crank case oil. The squeeking could be from belts squeeking while turning the crank.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Whoa!!! Not so fast!!!

First, do you realize the new BCM needs to be programmed with a Tech 2, or similar bi-directional scan tool that can communicate with it? The dealer will charge big bucks for that if you don't know somebody that has one. I don't think that's your problem anyway. You would have a check engine light and a code starting with a "B" if it was. The purple wire is a good place to start and hopefully that's all it is. It's a ground wire that's necessary to complete the circuit for the theft deterrent system. Without it the VAT code doesn't pass through the serial data link to enable starting. After fixing the wire, if you still have the same problem I would replace the battery. Just because voltage is there doesn't mean the amps. are, or the battery could have a short in it causing rapid draining. Also, check the ground connection where that purple wire is paired with another wire of the same size on the same terminal as the purple. A larger wire (cable) is connected to the same stud bolt. This stud is one that joins the transmission to the the engine below the air intake duct. Remove the duct to see it. Make sure it's clean and tight. See the attached schematic. PPL stands for purple.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-29-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks plumbob!! Wow that ought to get him all fixed up!!! Hopefully he sees the post before doing anything with the BCM.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Ok I put the starter on and connected the purple cord with the butt connectors an at first it was just a click.then I started messing with the purple cord and had someone crank it. It wants to crank but still doesnt. ...the only thing I can say to do is take the interstate battery back and get a another one ..other than that I'm out of idea..

Old 10-30-2016, 08:48 AM

I also ran a wire from the batt. To the starter relay and the pullys were turning but really slow. So I'm thinking something is taking all the power for it not to turn correctly.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Or the battery is too weak. Not enough amps.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:51 PM

I had someone come by and check it out and he said it's the starter. It's too weak to turn the car over. So im Goin to but a brand new one and get another battery

Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 AM

Been out on bday weekend so I'm getting caught up. Yeah go ahead and try that battery - New preferably heck you can have them test it there when you buy it too. Plumbob is right - you might even be starting in cold weather and the battery has finally had enough.

Keep us updated.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 PM

Hey guys I'm back with an update. Ok so I bought a new starter,alternator,and battery thinking this would resolve the issue but no luck. ..BUT I THINK I found the problem but I may be wrong. When I turn the key my low oil pressure light comes on but I know I have oil in the engine because it was recently changed and then I looked at my dash and noticed that my oil gauge doesn't move at all due to the low pressure. So I think it's a faulty sensor that needs to be replaced and I also see oil at the bottom of the manifold. So the oil pump my be bad also. But where is the oil pump and sensor located. I have a 3.8 engine...if u can post some pics of the location that would be great. Or just tell me

Last edited by Metroboomin; 11-03-2016 at 08:07 PM.