Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Another "Service Vehicle Soon" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
Default Another "Service Vehicle Soon" Thread

Hey all,

I've spent about 30 minutes reading through many, many threads on this forum about the "Service Vehicle Soon" light. Not a single one was helpful, as almost every answer was "bring it to Autozone." Plus, most people don't seem to read, and assume the OP's were talking about the check engine light.

Anyways, my questions is about this light:

20161031_133828_zps09vzsety.jpg

20161031_133816_zpsckbx7j1t.jpg

It came on a few weeks before I parked the car at the end of last winter. I am not interested in bringing the car to the dealer, as I don't trust them and am not willing to pay what I feel is an excessive amount of money for them to scan it.

I haven't noticed anything weird or different about the car, and from my "research" it might not specifically have to do with the engine. My question is, is there a way to get any information from this message without bringing it to a dealer? Any relevant help is greatly appreciated.

Before someone mentions Autozone once again, the nearest one is 215km (133miles) and across the border.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:25 PM

Not sure if it's the same as mine, but I had that light on for 3 years. Turned out the ambient light sensor was bad so my headlights were always on instead of DRL. The part from autozone is like $12 and it's a 10 minute job. Check and see if your headlights are on when it's daylight and you're in park. If they are then that may be your problem.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Sometimes its just the stupid gas cap that has not sealed properly.
A few years ago I purchased a locking gas cap from the GM dealer put it on the SUV my wife drove to work. She was losing gas some one was stealing it while she worked.
Then she would fill the car up and not get it sealed and then the Check engine light would appear.
Finally just went back to the stock cap and no problem.

The dealer said if you disconnect the battery and let it go cold for a bit it is supposed to reset all the issues. Not sure if that works for you? Just an idea?
You need to have the code reader to see the issue you might check with other Auto parts stores. They might let you read the issue so they can sell you the parts, to fix it.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:57 PM

or you can buy a code reader, not very expensive nice item to have too

Old 10-31-2016, 08:39 PM

Some code readers don't read it. I know autozone doesn't and the code reader I have doesn't read it. I believe you need a tech II scanner which can run pretty expensive.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dj_bosse
Not sure if it's the same as mine, but I had that light on for 3 years. Turned out the ambient light sensor was bad so my headlights were always on instead of DRL. The part from autozone is like $12 and it's a 10 minute job. Check and see if your headlights are on when it's daylight and you're in park. If they are then that may be your problem.
Thanks, I checked and it looks like the lights stay on, so this is probably my issue.

For everyone else, I don't think you read my original post. Average OBD2 scanners will not read these codes. I looked at the GM Tech 2 scanner, but it's $350 USD (plus shipping and duty). Which is not worth it to me.