Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2K monte almost cranks but doesn't just hear a loud thump from the starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Exclamation 2K monte almost cranks but doesn't just hear a loud thump from the starter

My 2000 monte carlo try to crank but doesn't. I just hear a loud cluck from the starter. It was driving fine Last week now it doesn't start at all. I've replaced the starter and the battery. My security light,my battery light, and my low oil pressure light all come on, but I just had a oil change 2 weeks ago.I was told that my engine is locking up Witch means the end of my life as I know it can anyone please help me I put too much into this car for it to end like this.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:15 AM

Who told you your engine was locking up? Seems like internal damage on the engine. It very well may end up like you fear - 3800 or 3400? Either way you can junkyard an engine if need be so it's not the end of the world.

I haven't driven my Impala in a while (same cluster as you - in fact it came from a MC but that's another story), but I think the cluster should flash between the security light and the security normally - then there may be an issue with your oil. Have you checked anything on the car besides replacing the starter and battery? On a side note, were either of those tested before replacement?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 PM

It's a 3800 series ..and I went to autozone and had my starter and battery checked..the battery passed but the guy said it might have some dead cells in it.he said add water and it MIGHT save it..the starter had a low current and didn't pass..I got the starter from the junk yard..and I just put another one 1 and now it just clicks so im not sure if it's locking up now. I think it's the starter

Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 AM

So you drove it to autozone to have them check these things? So is the car intermittently starting? Before you keep starting this, check the oil! If you removed the parts and brought them to the parts store, that's fine.

You have a brand new battery that's good. Which starter is on the car now? The new one (new/reman. from the part store) or the used one (junkyard)? I'd probably bench test the starter myself or even put a remote switch on it while it's in the car, but I'm not sure what tools you have at your disposal.

I think you need to have a clear idea that the starter is working properly - if it is and it cannot turn the engine, then you need to find out why. You said someone told you your engine was locking up and I'm curious why they think that - a vehicle not starting is not enough to determine that the engine is locked up as starter, battery, security, fuel, ect can all cause that.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:03 PM
Default 2k monte need help

The smaller cable (the purple one) on the starter has been cut and tied together..an I have a used battery from interstate and a starter from the junkyard witch is on now..I switched it with another 1 I got from the junkyard and it just clicks no thump this time..so do I need a brand new battery and a brand new starter..but y I thinks it's locked is because my low oil light comes on an I just had a oil change 3weeks ago

Old 10-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would actually try a brand new battery and brand new starter before deciding the engine is locked up and I would also check the oil without the car running just to be sure it is not low. I would also replace that purple cable that is tied together. But that's just me.

Last edited by P343; 10-26-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:16 PM

Ok I'm Goin to try the brand new starter and take the interstate battery back and get another one. .and as for the purple cord how do I replace it..It ties in with the other cables ? And the my girls dad told me it was locking up. But I refuse to believe that. ..

Old 10-26-2016, 04:18 PM

But the starter I have on now just makes 1 click and when I turn the key all the power goes out but the check engine light stays on

Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM

So you still have the same starter & battery that are old/used? I'd say at least pull the dip stick to see if it's low or not before trying to start it. It doesn't cost you anything an it's peace of mind. If the old was recently changed, maybe you have a leak - I've seen people not put their drain bolts in all the way.

Why was the purple cable cut? and how is it tied together again.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:01 PM

junkyards often cut cables when removing items. ive seen that before.